Website YMCA of Greater New York
Salary: $60,000 – $75,000 Annually
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Flushing YMCA is seeking an Early Childhood Head Teacher who, under the supervision of the Early Childhood Director, will plan and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum that supports and encourages the social, emotional, cognitive, and physical needs of preschool students. The Early Childhood Head Teacher will work within the framework of the Center’s program to carry out its functions, policies, and procedures; including but not limited to: student assessments, work sampling, individualized plans, and parent/ family engagement. The Head Teacher will supervises and/or coach classroom Assistant Teachers. They will support the Center and Branch with Open Houses, Annual Campaign events, events, such as Healthy Kids Day, as needed.
The Early Childhood Program operates, Monday – Friday, and runs through June 30, 2023.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Plan developmentally appropriate and engaging lessons and activities.
- Implement lessons and activities; including but not limited to literacy, arts, math, cooking, science, outdoor/indoor recreation, field trips, etc.
- Develop classroom centers that respond to children’s interests and are coordinated with the ongoing curriculum.
- Facilitate student assessments and work sampling.
- Guide students in their academic growth.
- Work with parents to promote understanding the growth and development of their child. Effectively communicate with parents, verbally and in written form, throughout the school year.
- Encourage parent participation in special events, meetings, and in-class volunteer opportunities.
- Developing effective communication strategies.
- Work as a supportive team member within the Early Childhood Learning Center and the YMCA Branch; and supervise Assistant Teachers, Teacher Aides, Early Childhood Specialists, and Volunteers.
- Maintain a clean and safe classroom environment, by reporting and/or removing all potential hazards and by setting up spaces and materials with a focus on supporting child learning.
- Conduct fire drills and manage emergency procedures in accordance with the guidelines of the Center and the YMCA of Greater New York.
- Prepare food for children and maintain a family style setting for eating conducive to language, cognitive and social development, as well as the development of healthy habits.
- Maintain accurate program documentation; including by not limited to incident/ accident/ behavior reports, attendance sheets, sign-in/ sign-out sheets, development/ growth forms; document eating and sleeping, parent surveys, etc.
- Maintain equipment, storage, and supply inventory, as needed.
- Ensure that all YMCA of Greater New York, Department of Health, and Department of Education (if applicable) guidelines are followed.
- Actively participate in designated meetings, all training sessions, and special events.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and
well-being of our staff and members.
- Maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines
- Other activities and duties that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education (or related field) and State certification or NYSED approved certification; or Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education and 5 years of experience.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working with young children in a group setting.
- New York State Pre-K Foundation for the Common Core.
- Good physical condition required; including the ability to pick up infants/ toddlers, walk stairs, sit with students, and supervise students in the pool, as needed.
- Knowledge of child development and developmentally appropriate practices.
- Bilingual preferred.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
To apply for this job please visit ymcanyc.csod.com.