Location: Los Angeles, CA or Pittsburgh, PA (Hybrid)
Reports to: Director of Engagement
Start: Summer, 2023
WORK accompanies families out of poverty through good, dignified jobs. We work primarily in landfill communities with informal collectors to improve the dignity and value of human-powered supply chains at the first mile. Our goal is simple, to ensure two heads of household are in living income jobs so that each family can pull themselves out of poverty forever.
WORK is seeking a Marketing and Communications Manager to support its global teams. This team member will be responsible for curating, editing, and publishing stories aligning with our mission, designing and producing print and digital material to support our engagement goals and visual design for program-specific projects. The Marketing and Communications Manager will also work with vendors to meet creative needs of the organization and manage WORK’s outgoing communications, including website updates, newsletter production and social media platforms. This team member will report to our Director of Engagement.
Our culture is collaborative, entrepreneurial, and fast-paced. We maximize resources to provide the most effective services for the families we serve. We’re looking for like-minded individuals who will work relentlessly to accompany our families to independence. The new team member must be an adaptable, positive, and collaborative team player.
- Facilitate internal efforts to curate stories that will be shared with external stakeholders. Tailor and test narratives for the appropriate recipients and to accommodate the platform they will be communicated through.
- Working with the Program Team to draft and design impact updates to share with external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the Engagement Team, providing insight and drafting the voice for donation appeals.
- Develop and maintain our organizational branding, staying consistent with WORK’s mission, vision, and values.
- Design and distribute newsletters while working to enhance open and click-through rates and ensure information is received and read.
- Keep our website updated with relevant and timeline information. Develop and create the look, layout, and features according to goals. Review and grow click-through and conversion rates.
- Manage all social media platforms, including setting monthly calendar and scheduling posts. Track engagement metrics and set goals to achieve a higher level of engagement to drive support to our work.
Print and Digital Design and Production
- Manage design projects from start to finish – including pitching concepts and ideas to the team to print/digital production, coordinating assets and facilitating timeline and delivery.
- Ensure designs are relevant, user-friendly, and are distributed and used with integrity to brand and purpose.
- Complete design work on collateral for internal and external use, based off templates designed by partner contractors.
- Collaborate with the team to set goals for each design project based on purpose and drive to hit goals.
- Deliver projects according to stated timelines.
- Manage vendor relationship and production schedules as outlined and agreed upon.
- Implement a communications strategy to develop long-term organizational growth and deepening our supporters’ understanding of our work and their impact.
- Maintain organization of brand assets, back ups, and creative deliverables.
- Attend events as needed to serve as an external voice for WORK.
- Serve as the team leader on brand consistency.
- Manage individual creative campaigns on Asana.
Other duties as assigned
Desired Skills and Experiences
- Design and Creative – You are well versed in design concepts and use of design software such as Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Paint Shop Pro. Experience in using Squarespace and Mailchimp are also required.
- Creative thinker with proven systematic organizational skills to work independently without supervision, being able determine workload priorities to complete work and identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines; being proactive in taking initiative; and working both independently and in a collective environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact sensitively with colleagues, funders, community members from diverse social, cultural, and educational backgrounds.
- Experience curating content that can be utilized across platforms.
- Adaptable – You thrive in a fast-paced work environment and can adapt to changes.
- Executes to Results – Setting and hitting goals is important to you. You maintain a high standard and work hard to get results.
- Curious and Entrepreneurial – You do well in having the ability to find your way to creative solutions that reach the desired outcomes.
- Team Player – Working in a team setting that makes you feel like you’re playing for the Chicago Bulls circa 1990’s gives you goosebumps.
- Technical Experience – We operate on Google Drive and Suite, Asana, and Slack. You’re familiar with these platforms or you can get up to speed by watching online tutorials.
- Effective Communicator – You’re an active listener and an effective written and verbal communicator, especially to external audiences.
- Fiscal Responsibility – You’re comfortable building a budget and can execute with utmost professional ethics and fiscal responsibility.
- Education and Experience – You have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant field or related, equivalent work experience in relevant fields.
Travel and Flexible Schedule – Regular travel to Haiti and to various US-cities along with working some evenings and weekends will be required.
WORK operates in a hybrid work environment, at a minimum of 40% in office and 60% remote. Candidates should be able to participate in-office from either our Los Angeles or Pittsburgh office locations.
Salary and Benefits
We offer a competitive annual salary; 2% employer contribution to retirement plan; employer-paid health-care, dental, and vision insurance coverage; and partial cell-phone coverage. We also provide a generous paid-time off policy that includes year-end organization-wide vacation.
To apply: Submit your resume and cover letter in a single PDF file and a writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line “Marketing and Communications Manager Position: <Your Full Name>”.
WORK is committed to an inclusive and supportive work culture and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, caregiver status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org