Website West Oakland Environmental Indicators Project
WOEIP is a resident-led, environmental justice nonprofit helping West Oaklanders achieve healthy homes, healthy jobs, and healthy neighborhoods for all who live, work, learn and play in our community. We have a twenty-year track record of using participatory research and collaborative problem-solving techniques to drive policy change, community development, and coalition-building in West Oakland and beyond.
We are seeking a passionate, bilingual Teaching Associate to help expand our Induction Cooktop Teaching Project (ICTP), an exciting hands-on classroom curriculum that teaches 4th-12th grade students about the daily impact of gas cooking on our health and climate, through lessons on health science, environmental science, electromagnetism, and demonstration cooking.
Reporting to the ICTP Project Lead, the ICTP Teaching Associate will help develop and deliver our existing classroom curriculum in select Title I OUSD classrooms throughout the 2023-2024 school year. This is a part-time contract position with a direct impact on the health and education of underserved students and their families.
The ICTP Teaching Associate will…
- Work closely with the ICTP Program Lead to recruit participating schools through networking and outreach activities.
- Participate in internal training sessions and team-related activities to prepare for curriculum delivery.
- Coordinate logistics for their assigned school and/or classroom(s), including communication with school staff, scheduling, coordination, and other related needs.
- Deliver the ICTP curriculum in select elementary, middle, and/or high school classrooms (in-person and/or remote, depending on program requirements) throughout the fall and spring semesters.
- Work with the ICTP Program Lead to adapt sessions to classroom needs as required.
A good fit…
- Has experience in teaching, facilitating classroom lessons, or working with youth, and is comfortable leading classroom discussions and activities with students in grades 4-12.
- Is excited by the idea of learning and applying activity-based teaching methods in the classroom with the support of program staff.
- Demonstrates the ability to thoughtfully and effectively communicate and interact with people who have different backgrounds, experiences, and abilities.
- Is organized and can manage their time independently.
- Is able to communicate easily in English and one (or more) of either Spanish, Mam, or Cantonese (the most common languages within OUSD).
- Has a flexible schedule that can accommodate mostly daytime hours that may change from week to week.
Candidates must also:
- Have reliable transportation.
- Meet OUSD public health requirements, including proof of TB test and up-to-date COVID vaccination, and be willing to complete a background check.
- Be committed to learning and applying Environmental Justice principles when working with students and families, school staff, community members, and our team.
Compensation, hours, and organizational culture
- Compensation is $30/hour.
- This is a part-time independent contractor (W9) position running from September 2023 through the end of the school year in late May 2024. We expect the role to require around 5-10 hours/week. Hours will likely vary from week to week, and are limited to 266 hours over the course of the school year.
- WOEIP is an equal-opportunity employer. We are a small team that values direct and open communication, power-sharing and leadership development, acknowledging our own and each others’ unique lived experiences and relationships to privilege, and centering the voices of those most impacted by our work. We especially welcome candidates who identify as Black, Indigenous, people of color, LGBTQ+, or other underrepresented or historically marginalized groups, as well as those with connections to West Oakland. If you need accommodation for a disability during the application process, please let us know.
How to apply
Send a letter explaining your interest in the role, along with a resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include details about your hourly availability. Due to limited capacity, we cannot accept phone calls, personal emails, or walk-ins. We appreciate your understanding.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com