Website West Oakland Environmental Indicators Project
The West Oakland Environmental Indicators Project has a twenty-year track record of using participatory research and collaborative problem-solving techniques to drive policy change, community development, and coalition-building in West Oakland and beyond. We’re looking for an experienced Communications Manager with a talent for developing creative content to manage our digital channels (with an emphasis on email and social media).
The Communications Manager is critical to ensuring we’re building awareness, understanding, and trust among our diverse audiences, from community members to policy makers. A good fit puts themselves in their audience’s shoes and can translate complex information into digestible, understandable content. You can comfortably communicate with an intentional tone of voice, and recognize the importance of alt text. The role reports to the Associate Director of Digital Engagement.
- WOEIP communicates with a clear and unified voice across its digital channels.
- WOEIP staff feel equipped to reach their specific constituents through our various communications channels.
- Our tech infrastructure effectively and efficiently supports contact management, content creation and distribution, and development efforts (especially tracking and reporting).
- We make good use of a set of well-defined communications channels with clear purposes and compelling content that drives engagement.
- Our follower base continues to grow and engage positively with our content.
Strategy and planning (10%)
- Support and inform WOEIP’s digital engagement strategy to serve our programmatic and organizational mission, including identifying new channels as appropriate.
- Collaborate with the Community Engagement Lead to ensure organizational communications coordinate with community outreach efforts and vice versa.
- Track and report on appropriate analytics and other metrics that enable the team to make smarter decisions about how we engage with our audiences and partners.
Social media (50%)
- Create digestible, approachable content that educates and engages followers.
- Schedule posts to ensure a steady stream of compelling content reaches our audiences.
- Monitor and engage in conversations across channels to develop follower relationships.
- Develop and maintain an email program that extends our approach beyond broadcasted updates into more educational, substantive content that supports our programming.
- Create content for, build, and schedule HTML emails in support of our strategy (currently 2-4/month).
- Maintain our audience database (currently in MailChimp, with a migration to a more comprehensive CRM targeted within the next year).
Web management (10%)
- Create evergreen content for woeip.org, along with developing timely blog content.
- Handle basic WordPress housekeeping, such as plugin updates and page formatting.
Another way to break this down:
- Content creation (50%)
- Content management and distribution (30%)
- Reporting (10%)
- Strategy and planning (10%)
A good fit…
- Has around 3-5 years of experience juggling multiple communications channels and systems, preferably in the nonprofit/advocacy space.
- Has a portfolio of social and email content, messaging and campaigns that demonstrate an ability to produce compelling, unified content.
- Meets deadlines without compromising quality.
- Can break down complex, often technical concepts into digestible, understandable content for lay audiences.
- Is committed to learning and applying Environmental Justice principles when working with community members, followers, allies, and our team.
- Is extremely comfortable with digital tools and platforms, including platforms like: Google and Microsoft Office Suite, Asana or Trello, Zoom, MailChimp or other email delivery providers, design tools like Canva, WordPress or other CMS platforms.
- Is comfortable selecting and setting up software and systems to support their work.
Compensation and benefits
- This is a full-time exempt position, beginning immediately at 40 hrs/week. Salary range is $75,000-$85,000 annually. This role has the potential to flex in different directions, depending on the candidate and organizational growth.
- We offer a generous benefits package that includes unlimited PTO; paid health, dental and vision coverage; a retirement savings plan with up to 5% employer match; a $600/month additional benefits stipend; and a hybrid work environment.
How to apply
Send a letter explaining your interest in the role, along with a resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to limited capacity, we cannot accept phone calls, personal emails, or walk-ins. We appreciate your understanding.
WOEIP is a resident-led, environmental justice nonprofit helping West Oaklanders achieve healthy homes, healthy jobs, and healthy neighborhoods for all who live, work, learn, pray and play in our community.
We are an equal-opportunity employer. We are a small team that values direct and open communication, power-sharing and leadership development, acknowledging our own and each others’ unique lived experiences and relationships to privilege, and centering the voices of those most impacted by our work. We especially welcome candidates who identify as Black, Indigenous, people of color, LGBTQ+, or other underrepresented or historically marginalized groups, as well as those with connections to West Oakland. If you need accommodation for a disability during the application process, please let us know.
To apply for this job please visit woeip.org.