Website Through The Flower
Background: Through the Flower is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization founded in 1977 to manage the overwhelming public support of Judy Chicago’s work The Dinner Party (1974-1979). Our mission is to highlight feminist principles and create a cultural legacy built upon the vision embodied in the work of Judy Chicago through education, exhibition, and preservation. In 2019 Through the Flower opened the Through the Flower Art Space at its headquarters in Belen, NM. Here, visitors can view exhibitions of Judy Chicago’s work and collaborations with her photographer husband, Donald Woodman. The Art Space houses an exhibition area, an educational resource center housing over 350 books and journals along with historic films as well as a full shop and sales area. In addition to changing exhibitions, we also regularly provide public programs such as lectures and workshops.
Position Available: The Board of Directors of Through the Flower seeks a dynamic, self-starting individual who is passionate about advancing its mission and agenda, to lead as the Through the Flower Art Space Director. This is a full-time permanent position to work 40 hours per week Tuesday to Saturday; or such other times as may be agreed.
Responsibilities: The Art Space Director will work closely with the Board of Through the Flower and other related staff to design and oversee a rotating exhibition schedule and concurrent programming. Using the work and pedagogical feminist principles developed by Judy Chicago as a foundation, exhibitions will be grounded in the mission of Through the Flower to create social change through art and other educational opportunities. Qualified candidates will have a background in curatorial or museum studies and/or art history with experience in mounting exhibitions. Experience working with a non-profit organization is preferred.
Primary areas of responsibility:
Designing and implementing a rotating exhibition schedule to include 3-4 exhibitions/year at the Through the Flower Art Space located in Belen, NM.
Overseeing and managing all aspects of the exhibitions including local and national outreach, installation and de-installation, and promotion.
Designing and overseeing accompanying programming that engages a local and national audience. Build relationships, particularly with local and state educational partners.
Creating innovative promotions and programs to reach a broad and diverse audience that will grow visitorship to the Through the Flower Art Space and increase participation in online programming with the overall goal of increasing Through the Flower’s national and international reach.
Produce social media content to support promotional and program activities.
Experience and Qualifications:
• Self-initiated management and entrepreneurial work style
• Experience curating exhibitions and/or gallery management
• Attention to detail, strong organizational and time management skills and ability to perform non-routine work with changing priorities and ability to meet tight deadlines
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively including recruiting volunteers and training docents
• Outstanding written, oral and communication skills
• Experience interacting with the public in an engaging and personable manner
• Experience with audience-building and outreach/educational programs
• Experience planning events for and interacting with all levels of community members, from children to adults, on a level that engages the visiting audience
• Social media savvy, with ability to utilize such platforms as Instagram, et al., and think strategically and creatively to build public awareness of Through the Flower activities
• Knowledge of art history and women’s history and the ability to contextualize Judy Chicago’s artworks and contributions within that context
• Ability to utilize WordPress and Constant Contact website and email platforms on a level high enough to update those systems and use them to communicate regularly with online audiences as well as familiarity with Microsoft Office suite
• Must be available to work during the Art Space opening hours Thursday through Saturday of each week plus two further days per week as well as additional hours as may be required for planned fund-raising and programming events
Compensation and Benefits: Salary of $35,000 – 40,000/year to be reviewed after six months. Salary and benefits to be adjusted annually based on performance metrics being met as outlined in detailed job description.
Procedure for Applying: Qualified candidates should e-mail a current detailed resume, together with a cover letter indicating interest in the position and summary of skills and accomplishments to email@example.com no later than November 23, 2022; please note in the subject line “Art Space Director Position”
For more information about Through the Flower, visit https://throughtheflower.org/. Through the Flower is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit throughtheflower.org.