Everyone deserves the opportunity to build a better future. This simple idea has been at the heart of TechnoServe’s work around the world for over 50 years. TechnoServe is a pioneer in leveraging the power of business and markets to create sustainable pathways out of poverty.
The low-income communities in which we work are full of enterprising people. Their small-scale farms and businesses are the keys to economic development. But they face many challenges: low literacy, lack of access to jobs and markets, unpredictable political dynamics and, increasingly, the effects of climate change. For many women and young people, the challenges are even more daunting. Working with TechnoServe staff, people around the world are lifting themselves out of poverty. The results are amazing…when incomes increase and living conditions for families get better, they are able to access health care and education previously out of reach. Communities and even whole countries are better off.
The Major Gifts Senior Manager identifies and implements strategies to secure significant philanthropic support for TechnoServe’s work fighting poverty. Reporting to the Senior Director of Major Gifts, the Major Gifts Senior Manager will manage a portfolio of $5,000+ donors and prospective donors, and be responsible for facilitating all phases of the gift cycle, including initiating contact, cultivating and moving potential donors to solicitation and closure, creating solicitations, writing proposals, and stewarding donors. To be successful, they will work collaboratively with TechnoServe leadership, key volunteers, and Advancement staff.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
- Works closely with Advancement leadership to help create a multi-faceted fundraising plan to meet its most pressing needs
Carries a portfolio of 90-100 prospects that are being moved through TechnoServe’s donor engagement process culminating in Major, Leadership, or Principal gifts (as defined by TechnoServe’s Advancement team)
- Actively engages each prospect in their portfolio and submits 2-3 “asks” per month for a total of a minimum of 24 a year
- Personally solicits individual donors through written and telephonic correspondence and face-to-face visits, including preparation of personalized materials and engagement opportunities to maximize their financial and non-financial support;
- Works with prospects to educate them on TechnoServe priorities and soliciting and closing outright and planned gifts;
- Researches, develops, and writes funding proposals, appeal letters, and reports as required;
- Accountable for meeting or exceeding quarterly targets and $500k or greater on an annual basis, including six and seven-figure major gifts from assigned donors;
- Helps manage a budget ensuring that expenditures are in compliance and expense reports are prepared and submitted as needed;
- Builds trusting relationships with TechnoServe colleagues, as well as members of the Board, country directors, prospects, donors, and volunteers;
- Becomes immersed in the key strategies and initiatives of TechnoServe
- Works with TechnoServe colleagues across the world to coordinate related activities that further TechnoServe’s mission and achieve fundraising goals;
- Finds new and creative ways to engage donors that will enrich the donor experience and add value to TechnoServe;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 12 years of relevant experience or a Master’s
- Degree and 8 years of relevant experience in a related field
- Demonstrated successful professional advancement and/or fundraising-related experience, preferably in international development
- Prior fundraising experience (generally 5+ years) in successfully cultivating and securing major gifts of $25,000 or more;
- Consistent record of building solid relationships with prospects and donors;
- Fluent English – spoken and written
- Familiarity with CRM fundraising software;
Experience with and strong understanding of the international development environment and donor community (is preferred).
French or Spanish language skills
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understand basic principles and techniques of planned giving;
- Ability to manage a mixed portfolio of approximately 90-100 individual donors and prospective donors involving travel and considerable face-to-face meetings;
- Understand business processes of advancement operations including prospect management, donor relations, and gift processing;
- Demonstrated interpersonal, verbal, listening, and written communication skills to share TechnoServe’s mission, vision, and goals with clarity, passion, and persuasion;
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities; demonstrated organizational skills;
- Demonstrated aptitude at representing an organization in a professional and highly effective manner;
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of constituents and colleagues;
- High level of creativity, initiative, and motivation;
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality with respect to prospects and donors;
All applicants must have US work authorization at the time of application.
We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe’s vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact the Human Resources at email@example.com or call +1 202 785 4515
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.