Slingshot is looking for a Development Coordinator to lead in shaping our fundraising strategy and to support our communications.
Built on 25 years of experience with environmental health organizing in the Northeast, Slingshot works alongside communities most impacted by environmental threats to hold polluters accountable and build community power. We partner with the people most impacted by environmental problems – Black, Indigenous, communities of color and poor communities – training folks in all the skills they need to make change in their neighborhoods and beyond. We join community leaders together to build powerful statewide and regional networks that lay the foundation for lasting change.
As a new and quickly evolving organization, we are excited to find candidates who will help us grow the movement and envision the future of our collective. We hold long-term relationships with community groups, partners, funders, and donors that we will deepen, and we are excited to expand our reach through new connections in the region.
To be the best organizers we can be, we’re diving deep into what it means for us to be undoing racism and classism in every aspect of our work and are committed to evolving our work and organization accordingly.
What you’ll do:
The Development Coordinator will be responsible for organizing money from grassroots and individual donors, crafting and implementing fundraising strategies that enable Slingshot to carry out its mission. The Development Coordinator will build deep relationships with donors and funders, in addition to supporting Slingshot team members in creating and carrying out their individual fundraising plans. This position will be part of a horizontal organizational structure that operates through consensus decision-making. Major elements of the position include:
- Income budget development and planning. Develop and report on annual fundraising plans for individual staff and overall team, with target goals to meet for organizational and project budgets.
- Systems development. Help select, create, and flesh out internal tracking systems for grant funding and major donor work, in consultation with the rest of the team. Import existing information and fill in gaps through research and prospecting.
- Major Donors. Establish major donor goals and analyze team performance monthly. Train and supervise staff on donor work. Identify, cultivate and meet with donors, excelling in personal fundraising. Run three full-team major donor drives & three personal major donor drives. Personally steward 60-80 donor relationships. Create and oversee cultivation and follow up plans for all donors. Oversee coordination of donors’ records, updating the database throughout the year. Maintain Slingshot’s internal database with extensive records for each donor. Establish a planned-giving program.
- Donor Membership Support. Create donor membership goals for each staffer, as well as materials for all donor membership efforts. Work with staff to meet goals. Train staff on making donor membership pitches to community groups.
- Events. Develop a vision for using events to support organizational fundraising, either through house parties or building in grassroots fundraising to existing movement building events.
- Grantseeking. Assist in developing grantseeking goals and writing proposals and reports. Maintain and cultivate relationships with current or prospective funders. Work with the Co-Executive Directors to cultivate potential foundations through materials such as holiday cards and annual reports.
- Organizational Materials. Oversee the creation of materials to support Slingshot’s fundraising and cultivation efforts – one-pagers, brochures, postcards, and other materials. Support in the creation of Slingshot’s annual report, newsletters, letterhead, etc.
- Communications. Support the team with communications, publicity, media work, and outreach. Support content creation for the website and social media accounts.
What you’ll need:
- Previous experience with fundraising and grants prospecting
- Communications experience is a plus, but not required
- A driver’s license, preferably with a car you are willing and able to drive for work
- Flexibility in adjusting to a growing organization
- Eagerness to participate in non-hierarchical organizational structure
- Passion for working with frontline communities facing environmental injustice
- Commitment to dismantling systems of oppression
We are especially looking to hire candidates from our geographic area (Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine) and from the frontline constituencies we work with. People of color, indigenous people, immigrants, LGBTQ+, gender non-conforming people and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position is remote most of the time, but candidates should be based in the Northeast to be able to conduct donor visits and join staff retreats in person (as possible given the COVID-19 pandemic). We anticipate a large donor pool in the Greater Boston area.
Salary and benefits
Slingshot offers an extensive benefits plan and an open, inclusive, and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected. The salary for the Development Coordinator position is $50,000 for a candidate with 1-2 years of experience. We recognize the value of work-life balance and also strive to create opportunities for growth for all employees through professional development.
Submit your resume and cover letter via email to Hayley Jones at email@example.com and include “Development Coordinator” in the subject line.
Slingshot is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the base of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Slingshot considers the health and safety of its staff members and their families, our guests, our visitors, and the community at large to be a top priority. All offers to work, intern, or volunteer with Slingshot are conditioned on the candidate complying with our mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org