Slingshot is searching for a community organizer to work side-by-side with communities on the frontlines of climate and environmental injustice.
Built on 25 years of experience with environmental health organizing in the Northeast, Slingshot works alongside communities most impacted by environmental threats to hold polluters accountable and build community power. We partner with the people most impacted by environmental problems – Black, Indigenous, communities of color and poor communities – training folks in all the skills they need to make change in their neighborhoods and beyond. We join community leaders together to build powerful statewide and regional networks that lay the foundation for lasting change.
As a new and quickly evolving organization, we are excited to find candidates who will help us grow the movement and envision the future of our collective. We hold long-term relationships with community groups, partners, funders, and donors that we will deepen. We are excited to expand our reach through new connections in the region.
To be the best organizers we can be, we’re diving deep into what it means for us to be undoing racism and classism in every aspect of our work and are committed to evolving our work and organization accordingly.
What you’ll do
The Community Organizer will take on campaign program work in a specific geographic area, depending on where you are based. Right now, we are primarily looking for coverage in Eastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island. This position will be part of a horizontal organizational structure that operates through consensus decision-making. Major elements of the position include:
- Community organizing workshops and leadership development: you will craft and facilitate group workshops on core organizing skills like campaign planning, messaging, and fundraising. You will also connect individually with community leaders for one-one-one coaching, relationship building, and side-by-side work. For now, we are holding most workshops and meetings through Zoom or phone calls.
- Campaign development and strategy: you will build relationships with leaders in most impacted communities, identifying the most profound local environmental threats and working together to find solutions. You will research and develop creative strategies to protect health and environment, particularly in Black, Indigenous, communities of color and poor communities.
- Communications and organizational visibility: guided by the communications lead, you will work to increase Slingshot’s media presence through local events, press releases, campaign materials, and online organizing.
- Networking and movement-building event planning: you will help organize our first base-building membership assembly and other movement-building events. You will hold one-to-one meetings with key organizational partners.
- Fundraising: guided by the development director, you will cultivate relationships with foundations and help write grant applications. You will identify and deepen connections with grassroots donors, and participate in other fundraising tactics such as door-to-door canvassing, letter-writing, and open houses.
- Organizational development: You will join in creating and implementing our strategic three-year plan, building out and launching our new organizational identity, and joining our staff-wide process to center racial and class equity.
What you’ll need:
- At least one year of related work experience, such as community organizing, campaign coordination, environmental advocacy, or coalition building
- Demonstrated experience organizing in multi-racial, multi-generational, and multi-class settings
- Strategic thinking and effective facilitation skills
- Passion for community organizing, movement building, and racial, economic and environmental justice
- A driver’s license, with a car you are willing and able to drive for work preferred
- Flexibility in adjusting to a growing organization
- Eagerness to participate in non-hierarchical organizational structure
- Commitment to dismantling systems of oppression
We are especially looking to hire candidates from our geographic area (Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine) and from the frontline constituencies with whom we work. People of color, indigenous people, immigrants, LGBTQ+, gender non-conforming folks and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
We are currently working remotely, but this position is based in Eastern Massachusetts or Rhode Island.
Salary and benefits
Slingshot offers an extensive benefits plan and an open, inclusive, and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected. The salary for the Community Organizer position is $50,000. We recognize the value of work-life balance and also strive to create opportunities for growth for all employees through professional development
Submit your resume and cover letter via email to Hayley Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Community Organizer” in the subject line.
Slingshot is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the base of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Slingshot considers the health and safety of its staff members and their families, our guests, our visitors, and the community at large to be a top priority. All offers to work, intern, or volunteer with Slingshot are conditioned on the candidate complying with our mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com