Slingshot is searching for a communications and grants coordinator to lead in raising the money we need to pursue our work and to shape our external voice to multiple audiences.
Built on 25 years of experience with environmental health organizing in the Northeast, Slingshot works alongside communities most impacted by environmental threats to hold polluters accountable and build community power. We partner with the people most impacted by environmental problems – Black, Indigenous, communities of color and poor communities – training folks in all the skills they need to make change in their neighborhoods and beyond. We join community leaders together to build powerful statewide and regional networks that lay the foundation for lasting change.
As a new and quickly evolving organization, we are excited to find candidates who will help us grow the movement and envision the future of our collective. We hold long-term relationships with community groups, partners, funders, and donors that we will deepen. We are excited to expand our reach through new connections in the region.
To be the best organizers we can be, we’re diving deep into what it means for us to be undoing racism and classism in every aspect of our work and are committed to evolving our work and organization accordingly.
What you’ll do
The Communications and Grants Coordinator will be responsible for the organization’s external voice through email and social media (potentially written media as well depending on interest). The Coordinator will also be responsible for organizing money from foundations, and crafting and implementing the prospecting, cultivation, and tracking strategies that enable Slingshot to carry out its mission. The Coordinator will build deep relationships with funders, in addition to supporting Slingshot team members in creating and carrying out their individual grant writing plans. The Coordinator will also be responsible. This position will be part of a horizontal organizational structure that operates through consensus decision-making. Major elements of the position include:
- Communications. Manage regular communications with Slingshot’s email list by drafting and sending regular campaign updates and fundraising emails. Maintain a clean, updated, easy to parse email database. Spearhead content creation for the website and social media accounts. Track metrics for social media engagement and advise the team on how to best boost visibility for our organization and our campaigns. Support the team with communications, publicity, media work, and outreach.
- Organizational Materials. Support the creation of materials to bolster Slingshot’s fundraising and cultivation efforts – one-pagers, brochures, postcards, and other materials. Support in the drafting and editing of Slingshot’s annual report, newsletters, etc.
- Programmatic Materials. Support the organizing team by drafting, editing, and producing materials for campaign work in communities and resources for community leaders – slideshows, workbooks, handouts, etc.
- Operations. Support the inner workings of the organization through tracking and administrative work. Schedule and run monthly admin day team meetings to ensure all staff are up to date on tracking. Keep tabs on income and expenses. Manage firstname.lastname@example.org email inbox. Field first calls and delegate to the appropriate staff person as needed.
- Managing income from foundations. Develop and report on annual foundation fundraising plans for individual staff and overall team, with target goals to meet for organizational and project budgets.
- Systems development. Help select, create, and flesh out internal tracking systems for grant funding, in consultation with the rest of the team. Import existing information and fill in gaps through research and prospecting.
- Grantseeking. Develop grantseeking goals and write proposals and reports. Maintain and cultivate relationships with current or prospective funders. Work with the Co-Executive Directors to cultivate potential foundations through materials such as holiday cards and annual reports.
- Grant Writing Support. Create grant fundraising goals for each staffer and work with them to meet goals. Train staff on grant writing, grant prospecting, and building stronger relationships with funders. Edit proposals drafted by other staff members.
- Grassroots Fundraising. Guided by the development director, identify and deepen connections with grassroots donors, and participate in other fundraising tactics such as door-to-door canvassing, letter-writing, and events.
What you’ll need:
- Previous experience with communications, fundraising, and grants prospecting
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and keep track of deadlines
- Strong organizational skills to create and maintain complex tracking systems and databases
- Flexibility in adjusting to a growing organization
- Eagerness to participate in non-hierarchical organizational structure
- Passion for working with frontline communities facing environmental injustice
- Commitment to dismantling systems of oppression
We are especially looking to hire candidates from our geographic area (Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine) and from the frontline constituencies with whom we work. People of color, indigenous people, immigrants, LGBTQ+, gender non-conforming folks and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
If this staff person is not based in the region, they should be willing to travel to the Northeast for occasional in person staff events such as retreats.
Salary and benefits
Slingshot offers an extensive benefits plan and an open, inclusive, and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected. The salary for the Communications and Grants Coordinator is $50,000. We recognize the value of work-life balance and also strive to create opportunities for growth for all employees through professional development.
Submit your resume and cover letter via email to Hayley Jones at email@example.com and include “Grants and Communications Coordinator” in the subject line.
Slingshot is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the base of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Slingshot considers the health and safety of its staff members and their families, our guests, our visitors, and the community at large to be a top priority. All offers to work, intern, or volunteer with Slingshot are conditioned on the candidate complying with our mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org