Website Sikh Coalition
For over 20 years, the Sikh Coalition, a national community-based, civil rights organization, has defended Sikh civil liberties in the courtroom, classroom, community, and halls of Congress. Whether it’s working to secure safer schools, combat and prevent hate and discrimination, create equal employment opportunities and access, or empower local Sikh communities, the Sikh Coalition’s goal is working towards a world where Sikhs, and other religious and racial minorities in America, may freely practice their faith without bias and discrimination.
The Sikh Coalition is a nonpartisan, civil rights nonprofit with nearly 20 full-time staff and over one hundred volunteers that operates on a $2.4+ million budget with complete financial transparency. Our funding comes from grants, private foundations, and individual donors. We receive no funding from any government agencies.
We strive to do this work with integrity (sach), selflessness (seva) and with the lasting belief that our shared work holds a greater purpose (sangarsh). We will relentlessly pursue our goals while putting the community and these values first.
For more information please visit www.sikhcoalition.org
Position Summary: The Sikh Coalition is seeking a dynamic intern to work in conjunction with the development and operations department. The internship will provide an excellent opportunity for the individual to gain invaluable experience in fundraising & development, marketing and non-profit management.
The responsibilities will include:
- Assistance in organizing fundraising events
- Researching and implementing tools to increase efficiency
- Assisting in marketing and promotional initiatives
- Maintaining and updating donor database
The internship will be managed by the Development Manager, who will be sharing project management responsibilities on a variety of development related projects that you will be working on. This is an excellent opportunity for individuals interested in civil rights to build and strengthen skills in research, analysis, writing, and fundraising in a non-profit setting that helps empower and educate. In addition, the internship provides an opportunity for the individual to gain an understanding of how civil rights organizations and other stakeholders manage development initiatives and fundraising efforts.
Qualifications: The Sikh Coalition is looking for passionate individuals dedicated to protecting and advocating for the civil and human rights of all individuals.
We are looking for someone who has:
- High level of attention to detail and organization
- Highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity, with strongest professional reputation in the industry.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including interviewing skills.
- Can think critically, process data from multiple sources, forecast potential scenarios, prioritize based on probability and desired outcome, and recommend a best course of action.
- An impeccable attention to detail
- The ideal candidate is pursuing either a bachelors or masters degree in Public Policy or related field.
- Knowledge of the Sikh Coalition’s mission and initiatives.
- Applicants should either be pursuing or have completed an undergraduate or graduate degree
Accepted interns are required to work a minimum of 40 hours per week for 10 weeks during the summer. The office is located in New York City. However, this internship is a remote position. Laptops and equipment will not be provided, however summer interns will receive a $1,000 stipend. This is in addition to any funding an intern may receive from external sources, including their respective schools.
To Apply: Please apply online with a resume, cover letter, and writing sample. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis between now and May 15, 2023.
To apply for this job please visit sikhcoalition.recruitee.com.