Website Shelter Inc.
ABOUT SHELTER INC.
SHELTER Inc. is a dedicated organization with a clear mission to prevent and end homelessness among low-income, homeless, and disadvantaged families and individuals. Their vision centers on rebuilding lives one family at a time by providing housing assistance and the essential skills and resources required for self-sufficiency. They recognize the importance of wrap-around services, including education, training, counseling, and goal planning, as vital components of long-lasting solutions to homelessness.
SHELTER Inc strongly emphasizes comprehensive support services, such as case management, employment assistance, housing search assistance, and various supportive services designed to address the root causes of homelessness. SHELTER, Inc.’s holistic approach, guided by a Housing First philosophy, is dedicated to swiftly connecting individuals and families experiencing homelessness to housing without preconditions, ultimately promoting stability and self-sufficiency.
Reporting to the CFO, the Controller will be responsible for oversight of all accounting and reporting activities. This position will lead all day-to-day accounting operations of a budget of $25 million and supervise the team with functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and grants administration. The Controller will ensure that SHELTER, Inc. and its affiliates have the systems and procedures in place to support effective program management and conduct flawless audits. The Controller will work closely with program and administrative staff to support proper financial accounting. The ideal candidate has an excellent track record of managing compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, state regulations and contract requirements, and internal policies and procedures.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills are crucial, as the candidate will play a pivotal role in communicating complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels, including those in accounting and program management.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Finance & Accountability
• Oversees all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with GAAP and regulatory requirements.
• Maintains internal controls and safeguards for assets, revenue, expenses, and program budgets.
• Coordinates and oversees audit activity.
• Prepares and analyzes timely and accurate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
• Assists directors and managers in budgeting and planning processes.
• Supports the CFO and CEO in preparing board materials.
• Prepares financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants.
• Formulates and maintains agency cash flow forecasting.
• Assesses the financial efficacy of programs and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations.
• Manages and tracks the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
• Leverages strengths of the accounting team, define roles and responsibilities, and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and agency goals.
• Provides leadership to strengthen internal communications with staff at all levels of the agency.
• Creates and promotes a positive and supportive work environment.
• A bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, economics, or other related fields is required. A CPA or master’s degree in business administration is preferred.
• Advanced proficiency with Sage Intacct accounting software (similar experience with cloud-based accounting software will be considered.)
• Minimum of 8 years in an accounting role.
• At least 3 years’ experience as a Controller within the nonprofit sector.
• Outstanding communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, both oral and written and ability to build as well as deliver effective presentations.
• Self-starter, ability to identify issues, resolve problems and ask for help.
• Technologically competent with accounting software and Microsoft products.
• Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
• A willingness and ability to train and mentor staff with a track record of handling multiple projects within strict deadlines.
• Experience working in diverse settings with people across all socio-economic spectrums and a wide variety of personalities and roles – staff, participants, local agencies, vendors, volunteers, etc.
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to the agency’s mission.
• Must be a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will be responsible and accountable.
• A successful track record in nonprofit grants management, compliance, and reporting of government, corporate and foundation grants.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time, in-office position located in Concord, CA. The Controller salary range is $125,000 – $150,000.
SHELTER Inc. offers a generous benefits package including:
• Generous time off: 18 days of Paid Time Off to start, stepping up to 25 days over 8 years
• 15 paid holidays – including your birthday!
• Tuition reimbursement
• Medical insurance – Fully paid employee coverage of at least three plans and 50% of dependent’s premium (Kaiser, Sutter Health and Anthem Blue Cross)
• Dental – Fully paid employee coverage and 50% of your dependent’s premium
• Vision – Fully paid employee coverage and 50% of your dependent’s premium
• Flexible spending account
• Group term Life insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment – Fully paid employee coverage
• Long-term disability insurance – Fully paid employee coverage
• Employee Assistance Program
• Voluntary Pet Insurance through Wishbone Pet Insurance
• Voluntary Aflac insurances
• 403b Retirement Plan with matching contribution
SHELTER Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals who are representative of the culturally and ethnically diverse communities that we serve.
Envision Consulting was retained by SHELTER Inc. to conduct the search for their incoming Controller.
Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application process may contact Envision Consulting at 626.889.7905 to request and arrange for assistance.
To apply: https://apptrkr.com/4693525
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.