Website Sewa International Inc. & AmeriCorps
ASPIRE NJ AmeriCorps Program Position Description
Part-time Mental Health & Wellbeing Specialist
The Mental Health & Wellbeing Specialist will be responsible for conducting meditation, yoga, and wellness activities for ASPIRE NJ’s afterschool programming in the Newark Public School District. Other responsibilities include support for Community Liaisons in mentorship activities and weekend events.
Every school day (M-S: 2:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m) from Sept 15, 2022 till June 30, 2023 ( total of 900 Hrs)
– Sat timings could be different, like in the morning or early afternoon
– Students are at the centers from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Afterschool programming is provided for the Newark Public School District:
1. Dr. William H. Horton Elementary School, serving sixth grade students
2. Central High School, serving ninth grade students.
When applying for this position, please indicate which school/center is preferred.
This part time position reports to the Sewa Site Supervisors and Program Director.
The Saturdays are used for the center’s supplemental activities for students, such as field trips, community service projects, and guest speakers, which mental health & wellbeing specialists must chaperone. They are also reserved for updates to AmeriCorps members’ training.
– Lead group yoga exercises with students
– Conduct social-emotional learning lessons by incorporating opportunities for leadership and personal development into yoga sessions
– Lead group meditation sessions
– Collaborate with Community Liaisons in mentorship duties of students along with meeting with parents
– Collect relevant data on changes in behavior and progress of students
– Support events such as the Guest Speaker Series, field trips, and community service projects, and meet with parents
– Members may be required to perform other position-related instructions within the scope of their normal service activities, as requested by their Supervisor, in alignment with the terms and conditions of the AmeriCorps grant AND that are not unallowable or prohibited activities, and subject to reasonable accommodation.
Education and Experience Required
Completed certification or degree(s) from an accredited institution in physical education, counseling, yoga, or related field.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required
– Yoga and breath exercise expertise
– Ability to teach social emotional skills
– Verbal communication skills
– Organizational and leadership skills
– Must be a US Citizen, US National, or Lawful Permanent Resident
– Must be 17+ years of age
– Complete and pass a National Service Criminal History Check including national sex offender, state of New Jersey, state of residence and FBI fingerprint check
– Living Allowance: $12,000
– Segal Education Award: $3,247.50 for qualified student loans or to further your education, upon successful completion of 900 hours. Award may be utilized by the recipient or passed down to child/grandchild.
– Student loan deferment and payment of interest accrued during time of service (as applicable).
– Free Member Assistance Program – includes life coaching, counseling, and more
To Apply: Please email a resume and two references to email@example.com
Sewa International, Inc. provides equal opportunity for all. We do not discriminate in any aspect of employment or service because of race, color, gender, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, or any other improper criterion. Individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
All AmeriCorps members have the right to request reasonable accommodations in order to perform the essential functions of their position. Reasonable accommodations may be provided upon request. If you are a person with a disability and you would like to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact: ASPIRE Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Where a significant portion of the population eligible to be served needs services or information in a language other than English, the recipient shall take reasonable steps to provide written material of the type ordinarily available to the public in appropriate languages.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com