Website Rocky Mountain Microfinance Institute
Title: Capital Systems Manager
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Hours: 9am-5pm Monday through Friday with some evening requirements
Pay Range: $58,000 – $69,000 annually; bonus eligible (based on experience and skill set) Benefits: PTO, Medical (50% employer contribution), Dental & Vision (employer paid), 401k plan with 3% match, and an annual Professional Development, DEIA Development, and Personal Wellness contribution
Reports to: Director of Lending and Capital Systems
Location: Denver, CO/Hybrid
Rocky Mountain MicroFinance Institute (RMMFI) is a business incubator and financing program focused on reimagining social and economic mobility. RMMFI relentlessly focuses on its North Star – People are unstoppable forces. Life circumstances are real and sometimes overwhelming, yet they should not determine what we can do in the present or be in the future. We believe everyone should be free to make choices to activate the possible. RMMFI creates the space for communities and people of all backgrounds to realize their unique potential through the power of entrepreneurship. More information about RMMFI can be found at www.rmmfi.org.
Description: Reporting to the Director of Lending and Capital Programs, the Capital Systems Manager manages the operations, processes, and systems of the RMMFI Capital Department, which offers business loans and grants to entrepreneurs ranging from $500 to $75,000. Primarily an internal-facing operations role but with crucial entrepreneur-facing responsibilities, the Capital Systems Manager will be responsible for managing the capital portfolio through funding, servicing, collections, and reporting, implementing new capital products across program sites, administering Capital technology systems and internal operations processes, and providing excellent customer service to current borrowers. This role will also collaborate with the Capital Access Coaches in processing and underwriting loan and grant applications, identifying entrepreneur business support needs, and providing technical assistance and education to entrepreneurs as needed. RMMFI is always evolving and growing, and positions experience growth concurrent with the organization.
- Prior experience in small business lending, underwriting, impact finance, and/or loan servicing/portfolio management required.
- Prior microlending experience with Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) is desired.
- Alignment to RMMFI’s North Star and Guiding Principles
- Proficiency with CRMs, loan origination and servicing software, office document applications (Word, Excel, Google Suite, PDF tools), and filing systems.
- Knowledge of credit and asset-building principles, and key business concepts
- Naturally sees both the forest and the trees: is highly organized, detail-oriented, and works with a high degree of accuracy, but is ultimately driven by the “why” behind policy and process, and never loses sight of the people and mission that our systems are designed to serve.
- Familiarity with the principles of human-centered design is a plus.
- Ability to review and analyze complex information including financial statements, financial data, budgets, and credit reports, and translate concepts in ways that are relevant and meaningful to diverse audiences and members of various stakeholder groups.
- Passionate about helping individuals from historically marginalized or underserved communities to overcome barriers.
- A strong moral compass to Do The Right Thing, both for the entrepreneur (building impact) and the organization (risk management and sustainability)
- Strong people skills, with an ability to connect and build trust with various stakeholder groups, cultivate close working relationships, drive accountability with compassion and integrity, and motivate others as they pursue their goals.
- Ability to speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough, and timely manner
- Ability to think about diverse and multiple perspectives when working
- Group facilitation and/or 1-on-1 coaching experience is a plus
- Interest or experience in impact finance and entrepreneurship
- Bilingual (Spanish and English) is a plus, but not required
Manage Loan Funding, Servicing, Portfolio Management, and Operational Systems
- Process, Workflow, and Tech Systems Management: Ensure lending and grantmaking processes and procedures are up to date, documented, and implemented correctly, including updating relevant software (DownHome Solutions, LenderFit, Zoho CRM, and other internal tracking tools). Work with the Director of Lending and Capital Systems to update, improve, or design new department policies and processes as needed.
- Loan and Grant Funding: Coordinate with the Capital Access Coaches and Finance/Ops team to ensure timely and accurate processing of approved loans and grants, from the preparation of loan agreements to the disbursement of funds. Provide quality control review of closed loan and grant files prior to funding. Schedule loan and grant funding transactions through ACH, and record in proper systems.
- Payments, Billing, Credit Reporting, and Administrative Tasks: Provide excellent customer service to entrepreneurs in the loan repayment process. Ensure accurate receipt and processing of payments, accounting of loan balances, and file management. This includes: processing recurring and one-time payments, preparing and sending monthly bills, submitting monthly credit reports, preparing annual statements, internal reporting, data maintenance portfolio monitoring, and other tasks.
- Collections: Collect with compassion. Responsible for monthly billing and subsequent collection activities. When entrepreneurs are late, follow collection guidelines. Collaborate with Capital Access Coaches to build relationships with entrepreneurs and conduct regular check-ins to monitor the progress of their businesses. Update entrepreneur data, including contact information, regularly.
- Report Preparation & Submission: Ensure proper documentation and organization of Capital Department transactions and files, prepare monthly packets for RMMFI’s Bookkeeper, and provide support during RMMFI’s annual audit as required. Oversee, prepare and submit required internal and external reports to funders and the Director of Lending and Capital Systems.
Support the Entrepreneur and Deployment of New Loans and Grants in Alignment with RMMFI’s Capital-Meets-Capacity Philosophy
- RMMFI Entrepreneur Capital Needs Identification: Work with the Capital team to support entrepreneurs’ capital needs across all stages of RMMFI’s programming and across all sites. Support entrepreneurs in identifying the appropriate capital amount to support the defined business needs.
- Support Loan Origination and Underwriting as needed: Assess Entrepreneurs for RMMFI eligibility and fit, provide training on completing the loan applications, and track applicant and progress information. Organize loan information, review applications for thoroughness and accuracy, determine additional information needed, and perform the necessary due diligence. Analyze and score the loan package in terms of business viability, credit/character, collateral, owner’s equity, and skill to operate the business. Coordinate with internal and external resources to support the above activities.
- Entrepreneur Support and Education: Occasionally facilitate loan education workshops, serve on launch committees, provide credit building and financial education, and lead or participate in other group or 1-on-1 sessions as needed.
Special Projects: Work with the Director of Lending and Capital Systems on special organizational projects as the need arises.
Other Duties: Perform other duties as assigned. Be a supportive team member of the Programs Team and other departments in the organization.
If interested, please send a culture letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Capital Systems Manager”. The culture letter speaks to your connection to RMMFI’s North Star and Guiding Principles. Please keep your culture letter to a maximum of 1 page and share some examples of how you would demonstrate these values as a potential employee at RMMFI.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org