Website Results for America
Results for America (RFA) is the leading, national nonprofit organization helping policymakers at all levels of government harness the power of evidence and data to solve the world’s greatest challenges. Our mission is to make investing in what works the “new normal,” so that, one day, all government leaders use rigorous evidence and quality data to inform important policy and funding decisions. We believe that data-driven and evidence-based policy decisions could significantly increase the impact of the over $1 trillion that governments spend annually to advance economic mobility and racial equity.
Founded in 2012, RFA spent its first three years partnering with policy innovators to build the credibility of evidence-based policymaking, securing early and important wins in education, expanding its work to multiple levels of government and driving awareness and demand through carefully orchestrated education and communication campaigns. During its second phase (2015-2018), RFA worked to demonstrate the power of evidence-based policymaking in ways that resonate with an even broader universe of elected officials and policymakers. Now in its third phase of work, RFA intends to demonstrate that governments at all levels can make faster, more lasting progress in accelerating economic mobility for residents when they use evidence and data in decision-making.
RFA’s state team and Opportunity Accelerator initiative are critical to this position:
RFA has organized a “practice” at every level of government: federal, state, and local. As part of its state practice, Results for America’s team:
- Sets Standards of Excellence that outline how government leaders can produce better and more equitable outcomes by using data and evidence in budget, policy, and management decisions;
- Provides implementation support and coaching for state government leaders to advance and promote best practices that enable their local partners to effectively implement community-centered and evidence-based solutions that produce equitable population outcomes; and
- Enhances state implementation of national programs, such as the American Rescue Plan and Safer Communities Act, to produce real results for residents across the country.
The Opportunity Accelerator (OA), a signature initiative of RFA, is designed to work in close partnership with state and local stakeholders to help advance economic mobility, racial equity, and well-being for residents. The OA supports RFA’s theory of change by building the public sector’s capacity to understand and advance key community priorities, by leveraging data and evidence, and by authentically engaging and collaborating with community partners. The OA seeks to do this by dramatically improving the impact of government investments in a small number of jurisdictions. The OA helps communities to diagnose root causes of problems; design, implement, and evaluate policies and programs; and work closely with place-based partnerships to accelerate social and economic outcomes.
Position Overview and Reporting Relationship
Results for America is seeking two Associate Directors.
Both positions will work to inspire and guide government partners in using data and evidence and in aligning public resources to produce economic mobility and other equitable population outcomes. One position will report to the VP and State Practice Lead and work closely with the Opportunity Accelerator team. The other position will report to both the VP and State Practice Lead, with a more formal dotted line connection to the Executive Director, Opportunity Accelerator.
Candidates must have a track record of producing results in government, and expertise in public budgeting, use of data and evidence, project management, communication, and relationship management.
State Implementation Support (55%)
- Lead the implementation and delivery of technical assistance in select states to shift government funds to evidence-based and evidence-building efforts that will contribute to equitable local population outcomes
- Identify federal and state funding streams that can be shifted
- Coach state and local governments on how to shift and blend funds to effectively implement community-centered evidence-based and evidence-building solutions
- Identify and help remove state practices, policies, and systems that impede local progress toward goals
- Build and maintain relationships with state officials in order to enable RFA to understand their needs and design and deliver useful implementation support;
- Develop content and curriculum, rooted in State Standard of Excellence criteria, for implementation support for state partners;
- Provide tailored coaching to help state leaders to advance their evidence-based practices, including defining and prioritizing evidence of effectiveness in grant programs; and
- Lead coordination of implementation support with external partners and funders, particularly members of the Opportunity Accelerator partnership.
State Standard of Excellence and Mobilization (35%)
Provide leadership for the annual assessment and publication process for the Invest in What Works State Standard of Excellence, including:
- Improving the State Standard (including strategy, criteria, measurements, rubrics, internal and external processes, communications) based on feedback collected from the RFA team, State Advisory Committee, partner organizations, and key government partners
- Enhancing coordination, collaboration, and alignment across Results for America’s Standards of Excellence and Certification programs
- Building and maintain multi-year relationships with state officials through annual assessments
- Maintaining state standard data in enterprise systems to facilitate analysis and insights
- Foster contributions from RFA’s Advisory Committee through biannual meetings, regular communications, 1:1 calls, and other engagement opportunities, and recruits and onboards new members;
- Oversee updates to the Honor Roll of State Programs that Define and Prioritize Evidence of Effectiveness and related tools; and
- Contribute to strategic communications that build momentum for state use of data and evidence to produce economic mobility.
Internal Coordination and Impact Tracking (10%)
- Ensure team efforts are in seamless alignment with RFA’s shared goals;
- Coordinate technical assistance efforts with RFA’s other program teams, including the workforce, education, and early childhood teams;
- Contribute to the mapping of funding flows from federal to state to local government;
- Collaborate with RFA’s strategic communications team in order to share emerging best practices and impact;
- In partnership with other leaders at RFA, establish and implement program impact metrics and mechanisms for tracking, including those that may require partner reporting;
- Build indicators of capacity building that lead to equitable population-level outcomes; and ensure learnings from the support in jurisdictions are informing the overall strategy, scale model, and learning agenda; and
- Track progress on key milestones to support funder management and reporting.
Contribute to RFA-wide initiatives including diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts.
This is a full-time, exempt position.
Qualifications and Skills
- 10+ years working with or within local, state, or federal government;
- Experience with government budgeting processes, including how evidence of effectiveness and equitable budgeting practices can be used in fiscal decision-making;
- Experience co-designing and implementing initiatives and solutions that achieve clear outcomes;
- Experience in government service delivery, equitable budgeting practices, performance management, and program design is preferred;
- Direct experience managing significant stakeholder relationships and in building and managing diverse, multidisciplinary teams and coordinating deliverables across multiple verticals; and
- 2-3 years experience in managing consultants, staff, or teams, including undergraduate and graduate level interns.
Skills and Abilities:
- A thorough understanding of evidence-based policymaking including program evaluation, data analysis, investing in evidence-based interventions, and related areas;
- Knowledge of federal, state, or local legislative and funding processes;
- Outstanding project management skills, including a strong capacity to manage and coordinate simultaneous projects and successfully prioritize multiple tasks;
- Strong people and partnership management skills, including the ability to diffuse conflict and participate in complex management and reporting structures;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to establish and implement systems to achieve goals;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to produce clear, concise, and compelling narratives through a combination of expert prose, use of data, graphics, and engaging storytelling;
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite software;
- Highly independent and accountable, with the ability to efficiently complete many complicated tasks without close supervision (e.g., in a remote-office arrangement);
- Able to lead engaging group discussions in-person and virtually and make progress on shared goals;
- Able to work across a virtual and in-person team, and with government partners across the country;
- Strong commitment to the Results for America mission and vision; and
- Strong commitment to RFA’s diversity, equality, and inclusion commitments
Salary and Benefits
At Results for America, all staff members currently receive a compensation package that includes: (1) a salary aligned with RFA’s position level and salary bands and against similar nonprofit organizations; and (2) a suite of benefits that includes a choice of medical and/or vision and dental care, paid time off, a 403b retirement plan with employer match, and education and commuter benefits. The salary range for this position is $98,000 – $126,000.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. The subject line of your email should read “YOUR NAME – Associate Director, State Team”
** As a reminder, we will hire up to two candidates for this position.
RFA is an equal opportunity employer that values/celebrates diversity and that follows a policy of making all employment decisions and personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, partnership status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, disability, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses or stalking, military status, veteran status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org