The Program Assistant is responsible for administrative duties and handling of event coordination for the International Japanese Garden Training Center (TC), the Garden’s educational department. This position is great for someone who has strong project management and customer service skills and who is seeking opportunities for advancement. The Program Assistant reports to the TC Program Manager and will work from our remote office located off the Sylvan exit of highway 26. This position is anticipated to start February 1st, 2023.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: For the safety of our staff, volunteers, and guests, Portland Japanese Garden requires all staff and volunteers to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, including the initial booster. Candidates must be fully vaccinated by their hire date and must provide proof of vaccination upon hire.
- Assist with event coordination, such as drafting an event script and ordering materials
- Attend pre and/or post event meetings and provide on-site event support
- Track program registrations and payments in cooperation with the Events department
- Organize and track event feedback and statistical data
- Handle administrative tasks through Moodle, the online teaching platform
- Maintain organization of teaching material and equipment including garden tools
- Provide friendly hospitality to visiting instructors and lecturers
- Order office supplies for the TC and maintain cleanliness
- Assist in the preparation of the TC budget
- Assist in the management and operation of the Vollum Library
- Other duties as assigned
- Familiarize oneself with the organization and the Employee Handbook
- Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork, and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
- Serve as a role model for Garden volunteers, providing support and encouragement to volunteers in their roles across the Garden
- Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
- Adhere to Garden Dress Code (business casual)
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the position, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and qualifications for this role.
- The ability to work effectively with people of diverse ages, talents, and backgrounds
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to communicate effectively with precise, proper writing and speaking skills
- Team worker who can take direction and work independently
- Problem solver and ability to make thoughtful, flexible, and efficient decisions in different situations
- Friendly, positive, and poised personality
- Current driver’s license
- Flexible work schedule and ability to accommodate changing Garden needs
- Japanese language fluency is a plus
- Knowledge and interest of Japanese culture and arts is a plus
- Ability to work in all types of weather conditions during events
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs
Compensation & Schedule
- Wage: $18.00/hour
- This is a full-time, hourly position, with 40 hours per week. Shifts are typically 8 hours (plus ½ hour lunch), between 8:00am and 5:00pm, Monday – Friday.
- health, dental, and vision insurance (premium 100% covered for employees)
- 401k plan (after 6 months, with 4% employer match after 1 year)
- flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care expenses
- paid vacation, sick, and holiday time
- free access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and three work-related references through our online Career Center. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please no phone calls or hand delivered applications. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.myapps.paychex.com.