Website PDXJapaneseGdn Portland Japanese Garden
A 501(c)(3) nonprofit located in Portland, Oregon.
Portland Japanese Garden – a 501(c)(3) non-profit in Portland, Oregon – is hiring for an Administrative Assistant who will support the Arlene Schnitzer Curator of Culture, Art, and Education (Curator of CAE). This position will report to the Curator of CAE, and requires professionalism, attention to detail, and a service-oriented attitude. The professional in this position should enjoy keeping people organized and creating systems to help departments run more efficiently. The Administrative Assistant will work from the primary Garden campus, located at 611 SW Kingston Ave.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: For the safety of our staff, volunteers, and guests, Portland Japanese Garden is requiring all staff and volunteers to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, including at least one booster. Candidates must be fully vaccinated by their hire date, and proof of vaccination will be required upon hire.
- Provide administrative support to the Curator of CAE, and their respective departments
- Maintain and manage calendars, contacts, and schedules, prepare materials for meetings, and screen incoming calls and emails
Log meetings and update contact information in our CRM database (Tessitura)
- Attend and take notes for department meetings (e.g., status, event planning)
- Track expenses and submit expense reports
- Order and manage inventory of department office supplies and organizational collateral (e.g., brochures)
- Print and mail correspondence to key partners
- Assist with hospitality for guests including donors, journalists, vendors, etc
- Assist in data reporting from surveys in Excel and online survey platforms (e.g., admissions, visitor demographics, memberships)
- Assist with programming activities, development events, and art exhibitions as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
- Familiarize oneself with the organization and the Employee Handbook
- Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork, and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
- Serve as a role model for Garden volunteers, providing support and encouragement to volunteers in their roles across the Garden
- Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
- Adhere to Garden Dress Code (business casual)
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the position, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and qualifications for this role.
- High school education minimum; college education preferred
- General knowledge of office environments
- Proficient in email communication and scheduling (we use Outlook)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word and Excel
- Detail oriented with exceptional organization skills
- Ability to remain flexible with shifting priorities
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with sensitive information
- A proven track record of working well with others, adapting to others’ work styles, and professional interactions with co-workers, guests, and/or vendors
- Strong listening skills, giving full attention to what other people are saying or asking, taking time to understand the points being made, and asking questions when appropriate
- Service orientation, actively looking for ways to help others
- Excellent communication skills
- Personal passion for Japanese culture and history, art and design, travel, and/or landscape design and horticulture are a plus
- Experience working within a Customer Relationship Management system (e.g., Tessitura, Raiser’s Edge, etc)
- Must have a valid driver’s license and safe driving record for operating Garden vehicles
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position and/or move about the Garden for several hours
Compensation & Schedule
- Wage: $19.50/hour
- This is a part-time, hourly position with 20-25 hours per week. Shifts are typically 5 hours (plus ½ hour lunch), between 9:00am and 2:00pm, Monday – Friday (negotiable). Occasional weekend or evening shifts may be required to support special events.
- a household membership to the Garden
- reciprocal access to other area attractions, such as Portland Art Museum, OMSI, and Oregon Zoo
- a 30% discount on most items in the gift shop
- incentives for using alternative transportation to commute to work
- free access to the Employee Assistance Program
- paid sick time
- eligible for the company 401k plan upon completion of 500 hours in the first 6 months of employment (4% employer match after 1 year of service)
The Garden is located at 611 SW Kingston Avenue, in Washington Park. Below are the transportation options for staff commuting to the Garden:
- Parking: Staff may park in the pay-to-park spaces throughout Washington Park. The cost is $8/day, or staff may request parking permits from Washington Park. The Garden subsidizes a portion of the cost for parking permits; the cost for staff is $75/month during the high season (March – September) and $50/month during the low season (October – February).
- Bus Passes: For staff who take public transit as their primary means of commuting to the Garden, we provide paid bus passes. Full-time staff receive a monthly TriMet pass, and part-time staff receive daily passes, based on their work schedule.
- Transportation Stipend: Staff who take any form of alternative transit to get to work qualify for a $5 daily stipend. This includes taking public transit, walking, biking, carpooling, or getting dropped off. The only staff who do not qualify for the stipend are those who are receiving a bus pass through the Garden.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and three work-related references. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please no phone calls or hand delivered applications. Submit applications by Monday, April 10th, 2023.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.myapps.paychex.com.