Website PDXJapaneseGdn Portland Japanese Garden
A 501(c)(3) nonprofit located in Portland, Oregon.
Portland Japanese Garden – a 501(c)(3) non-profit in Portland, Oregon – is hiring for a full-time Administrative Coordinator, who will provide administrative and “behind-the-scenes” support for the Garden’s Executive Office. This position is well suited for a person with exceptional written, verbal, and organizational skills, and who enjoys providing necessary support in order that others can succeed most effectively and efficiently. This position will also require professionalism, attention to detail, and a service attitude. The professional in this position should enjoy keeping people organized and creating systems to help departments run more efficiently.
The Administrative Coordinator will report directly to the Executive Assistant to the CEO and the Chief External Affairs Officer. They will work from the primary Garden campus, in the Executive Office, located at 611 SW Kingston Avenue.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: For the safety of our staff, volunteers, and guests, Portland Japanese Garden requires all staff and volunteers to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, including at least one booster shot. Candidates must be fully vaccinated by their hire date and must provide proof of vaccination upon hire.
- Provide general support to the Chief External Affairs Officer, the Executive Assistant of the CEO, and Office Manager, including help with events, visiting guests, providing general coverage of the Executive office, and administrative tasks (including trips to postal office, assisting with filing, assisting with credit card reports, etc.)
- Open, process, and deliver daily mail, including interdepartmental mail (includes delivery to Admin House and Sylvan Office), 1 – 2 days per week
- This includes careful listing of checks/payments received via mail
- Board meeting support
- Print and assemble Board packets for meetings (Board of Trustees and Foundation Board)
- Update and prepare onboarding binders for new Board members
- In conjunction with Events staff, ensure beverages/snacks are ordered and ready
- Assist the Office Manager
- Oversee operation and maintenance of copiers and postage meter
- Maintain shared copier and workroom spaces, keeping them stocked and organized
- Order and manage inventory of office supplies for all departments, at all locations
- Order and maintain inventory of organization collateral in the form of brochures, letterhead, envelopes, business cards, etc.
- Process monthly auction donation requests
- Maintain and manage calendar, contacts, and schedule, prepare materials for meetings, and screen incoming calls and emails
- Assist with financial tasks including tracking expenses, submitting expense reports, and coding invoices
- Log meetings and update contact information in our CRM database (Tessitura)
- Schedule national and international travel for the Chief External Affairs Officer
- Other duties as assigned
- Familiarize oneself with the organization and the Employee Handbook
- Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork, and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
- Serve as a role model for Garden volunteers, providing support and encouragement to volunteers in their roles across the Garden
- Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
- Adhere to Garden Dress Code (business casual)
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the position, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and qualifications for this role.
- At least 2 years of prior administrative/office management experience, or similar
- Detail-oriented with exceptional organization skills
- Ability to remain flexible with shifting priorities
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Exceptional customer service and ability to communicate with people of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to read, write, and communicate effectively and professionally
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and also as a team
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel between the various Garden campuses (mileage reimbursement provided)
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position and/or move about the Garden for several hours
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs regularly
Compensation & Schedule
- Wage: $20.00/hour
- This is a full-time, hourly position, 40 hours per week. The schedule is generally 8:30am – 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. Occasional weekend or evening shifts may be required to support special events.
- health, dental, and vision insurance (premium 100% covered for employees)
- 401k plan (after 90 days, with 4% employer match after 1 year)
- flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care expenses
- paid vacation, sick, and holiday time
- free access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
The Garden is located at 611 SW Kingston Avenue, in Washington Park. Below are the transportation options for staff commuting to the Garden:
- Parking: Staff may park in the pay-to-park spaces throughout Washington Park. The cost is $8/day, or staff may request parking permits from Washington Park. The Garden subsidizes a portion of the cost for parking permits; the cost for staff is $75/month during the high season (March – September) and $50/month during the low season (October – February).
- Bus Passes: For staff who take public transit as their primary means of commuting to the Garden, we provide paid bus passes. Full-time staff receive a monthly TriMet pass, and part-time staff receive daily passes, based on their work schedule.
- Transportation Stipend: Staff who take any form of alternative transit to get to work qualify for a $5 daily stipend. This includes taking public transit, walking, biking, carpooling, or getting dropped off. The only staff who do not qualify for the stipend are those who are receiving a bus pass through the Garden.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and three work-related references. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please no phone calls or hand delivered applications. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.myapps.paychex.com.