Website Pasadena Playhouse
Job Title: Staff Accountant (Salaried, Exempt)
Reports to: Controller
Who is Pasadena Playhouse?
The Pasadena Playhouse was founded in 1917 by theater impresario Gilmor Brown. Galvanizing a community largely made up of wealthy easterners, Brown raised money from over 1,000 citizens in Pasadena to purchase land at 39 S. El Molino and in 1925 the current landmarked theater opened its doors with national fanfare. In 1937 the California state legislature unanimously voted the Pasadena Playhouse the official state theater of California.
In 2016, the Pasadena Playhouse board appointed Danny Feldman to the newly created role of Producing Artistic Director (a combination of traditional artistic director and managing director responsibilities) to lead a renaissance for the organization. Since joining the Playhouse, Feldman has staged critically acclaimed mainstage productions and led significant growth in board, staff and community investment.
The Playhouse is one of the most prolific drama-producing organizations in the history of American theater, having commissioned over 550 new works, produced upwards of 1,200 shows, spearheaded over 500 world premieres, developed several shows that went on to Broadway, and welcomed millions of audience members. In its history, arts education and access have been at the core of the institution with more than 30,000 students served in the last four years alone. Today, the Pasadena Playhouse State Theater of California is a $7M League of Resident Theaters (LORT) B theater located in beautiful Pasadena, California.
The Playhouse is in the midst of a renaissance which includes new staff and board leadership and a reimagined vision for the future. Moving from a place where the community goes for entertainment, to a destination they seek out for enlightenment is a core purpose. New pillars of groundbreaking theatrical experiences, authentic community engagement and life-long dramatic learning, are set against a business model based on current drivers.
What will you do?
The Staff Accountant performs various accounting duties and responsibilities in the areas of accounts receivable, accounts payable, and payroll. This position reports to the Controller and works closely with other departments in gathering information for various financial transactions and recordkeeping.
Areas of Accountability
· Performs accounts payable duties including entering bills and new vendors and processes weekly vendor check runs.
· Tracks purchases made by company credit card, enters information in Quickbooks and reconciles against bank activity.
· Performs accounts receivable duties including entering deposits and journal entries and maintaining deposit files.
· Reconciles daily deposit information between Tessitura and Quickbooks
· Processes weekly payroll in ADP for staff and crew.
· Enters information in ADP employee database including new hires, processing terminations, and garnishments.
· Maintains garnishments, benefit audits, and other EDD/Labor related reporting requests.
· Administration of ADP database validation tables and account mapping
· Creates and distributes all Union Dues, H&W Contribution, Pension/401K Reporting for IATSE and Actors’ Equity Association
· Performs various human resources duties including employee onboarding, and new hire orientation.
· Assists Controller with year-end reporting (W-2, 1099, etc.) and other projects.
· Completes weekly workers compensation schedule for reporting.
· Prepares annual Environmental Fee Return and TCG Salary Survey.
· Manages Finance Archive Storage & Manifest (destruction each fiscal year with 7-year rolling retention).
· Processes requests for certificates of insurance.
· Generates financial reports related to A/R, A/P and payroll when requested.
· Collaborates with other departments and team members in gathering information necessary for financial reporting.
· Assists with workers compensation and annual financial audits.
· Various administrative tasks to support Human Resources.
· Other related duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
· Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field
· 2-3 years’ experience in accounting and payroll, theatre experience a plus
· Familiarity with Quickbooks and ADP or other similar accounting and payroll software
· Possesses a high level of integrity, and dependability.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Quick learner with exceptional attention to detail
· Good interpersonal skills
· Good analytical/critical thinking
· Ability to perform duties with minimal supervision.
· Ability to lift and/or move materials up to 25 pounds.
· Ability to operate keyboard at efficient speed and typical business office equipment, including computer hardware.
· Occasionally required to attend off-site meetings.
· Occasionally exposed to indoor noise, or outside weather conditions.
How much are we paying and what are the perks?
Salary: $65,000 – $70,000
Benefit Package: Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage. Generous paid time off. 403(b) Retirement Plan.
How do I apply?
Please email cover letter and resume in one PDF to email@example.com with the subject line “Staff Accountant”. No phone calls please.
We work to maintain a positive environment for our employees, where people can learn, grow and thrive with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative, transparent workplace where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
The Pasadena Playhouse is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org