Pacific Environment seeks to protect communities and wildlife of the Pacific Rim. We support community leaders to fight climate change, protect the oceans, build just societies, and move away from fossil fuels toward a green economy. Learn more at www.pacificenvironment.org.
Pacific Environment is campaigning to end fossil fuel use, including to get ships, planes, and ports off fossil fuels entirely. Our strategies include creating strong regulatory frameworks to achieve zero-emission shipping on a timeline commensurate with the climate emergency, pressuring corporate customers to demand zero-emission ships, and influencing ports on the Pacific West Coast and beyond to end fossil fuel build out and ready themselves for zero-emission shipping instead.
The Climate Campaigner, Corporate will lead Pacific Environment’s Ship It Zero campaign to influence major shipping companies and shipping-reliant corporations to rapidly transition ships off fossil fuels. The successful candidate will also lead the build out of additional corporate, finance sub-strategies to accelerate shipping, aviation, and port decarbonization. This will include but not be limited to advancing strategies to shine a public spotlight on the harms of current fossil-fueled global trade, using tactics such as earned media and other communications, reports, direct actions, direct negotiations with companies, technical analyses, and shareholder advocacy. They will seek commitments from major companies to insist on zero-emission maritime supply chains, hold companies accountable to commitments, and publicly shame laggard companies.
The ideal candidate has experience managing a team, a record of leadership in winning corporate pressure campaigns, a passion for moving society beyond fossil fuels, experience in large coalition efforts, and a commitment to climate justice and equity.
The Climate Campaigner, Corporate will report to Pacific Environment’s Senior Climate Campaign Director.
Location and Travel
This position is remote and requires working West Coast time zone hours, with a preference for physical presences in greater Los Angeles are or greater San Francisco Bay area. The position will involve domestic, and possibly international, travel. Pacific Environment is sensitive to COVID-19 and other potential obstacles to safe travel.
· Develop and lead the Ship it Zero corporate campaign
· Develop and lead new corporate and finance sub-strategies within the U.S., Pacific Rim, and globally to achieve zero-emission shipping
· May manage a team of approximately 3 campaigners and support staff
· Cultivate partnerships and coordinate closely with partner organizations in various coalitions – including community partners, labor partners, environmental justice partners, academic partners, and more – to broaden constituencies of support
· Directly advocate climate policy positions to corporations, allies, and partners to advance shipping-specific policy changes using tactics such as direct actions, communications campaigns, events, and more.
· Produce technical analyses, memos, and advocacy products as needed
· Represent Pacific Environment with the press, in coalitions with key allies, and in key policy forums
· We anticipate the ideal candidate will have 4-7 years of relevant experience in successful corporate engagement, successful policy advocacy and organizing, campaigning; including international experience.
· We anticipate the ideal candidate will have demonstrated success as an effective manager, team leader, public speaker, and collaborator in coalition efforts
· A record of accomplishment of achievement in managing and winning campaigns
· Experience in corporate research, including SEC filings and and Environment, Social, and Governance (ESG) reports
· Experience and expertise in energy/climate issues and policies
· Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
· Skill and comfort in building relationships with diverse audiences, including with companies, coalition partners, community leaders and grassroots organizations, and members of the media
· Experience in energy or pollution analysis a plus
· Commitment to helping communities have a strong voice in decision-making
· Commitment to environmental justice and racial equity
Relevant experience for this position can take many forms, and we strongly encourage applicants from a diversity of backgrounds.
The Climate Campaigner, Corporate’s work involves remaining in a stationary position and looking at a computer for long stretches of time, communicating with co-workers electronically, and occasional travel (including overnight travel), in-person meetings, or events. The ideal candidate must be able to complete all physical requirements of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation. Pacific Environment has an organization-wide policy that staff must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Compensation and Benefits
Pacific Environment provides compensation commensurate with experience and equitable with others on our team, plus a full benefits package for staff positions. The salary range for this position is $68,000-$90,000, which is carefully considered to account for equity, and the final offer will be based on candidate’s qualifications. The employee will enjoy a flexible working environment with a dedicated, diverse group of colleagues.
Click here to apply: https://jobs.lever.co/pacific-environment/c10defc1-00b2-4aea-8352-4a752c8b22ca
Pacific Environment is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from communities harmed by environmental degradation and from backgrounds underrepresented in the environmental movement to apply. We welcome diversity to do our best work and believe that creating teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to the change we seek.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Pacific Environment. Please inform our HR team by filling out this firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application or interview process.
Pacific Environment participates in the E-Verify program: https://www.e-verify.gov/employees
No phone calls, please.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.