Role and Responsibilities
Individual giving in the US is a staggering $325 billion per year. There is an opportunity to encourage these funds to flow to the areas where they can have the greatest impact. At the same time, we can also make giving easier for donors, and fundraising easier for nonprofits. We are seeking someone to join our team that works on broad ranging innovation in the charitable giving space. This person will take on increasing management responsibility for a portfolio of projects that develop and apply behavioral innovations to the world of philanthropy, from everyday donors to wealthy individuals. These innovations seek to increase the quality of giving, unlocking more resources to effectively address inequities and helping donors more thoughtfully engage with causes. The giving portfolio is an exciting opportunity to transform the way philanthropy – which underpins the entire nonprofit sector – serves donors as well as the organizations, individuals, and movements they support. We are privileged to be working with many of the major organizations and funders in the space.
We are bringing a deeper understanding of human behavior to develop new products, systems infrastructure, and design enhancements to existing giving platforms and services. We implement most things we design, and try to scale them. As such, this role integrates behavioral science, design, strategy, as well as entrepreneurial execution skills. Responsibilities may include:
- Managing design projects, including understanding systems, developing strategy, and intervention design
- Working with partner organizations, implementing, and measuring the impact of our designs; serving as the day-to-day contact for partners and clients
- Developing full-scale project plans, structures, and timelines; managing multiple concurrent projects at different stages of development
- Assisting/leading primary and secondary research such as surveys, interviews, and literature reviews
- Building relationships with funders and collaborating on grant proposals
- Building relationships with field partners and industry players
- Contributing to articles, blog posts, reports, policy papers, and other external communications
- Supervising and mentoring more junior staff
- Participating in internal strategic projects, including various aspects of organizational improvement.
- Please note that this position is grant-dependent and specific to the giving team’s portfolio of projects. We anticipate grant funding lasting through 2024 or longer, and there is opportunity for additional fundraising in the space.
Much of our work hinges on our ability to ask the right questions. As a result, we seek inquisitive, resourceful, analytical individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit. A passion for understanding human behavior, pursuing innovation, and promoting the social good is critical, but prior expertise or training in behavioral economics or psychology is not required. A strong interest in charitable giving and philanthropy is required; experience in the sector is a plus. Specific qualifications include:
- Bachelors with 6+ years or Master’s with 4+ years of relevant experience
- Mission-aligned, self-starter, and able to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong analytical skills and working knowledge of statistics; experience with Stata is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a commitment to high-quality output
- Available and willing to travel on a flexible schedule as needed (typically less than 25%)
- Record of academic excellence
- Smart, logical, and structured thinkers, who are also creative
- Background in strategy, marketing, and/or project/product management & client/partner-facing experience
- Experience in direct people management is a plus but not required (individuals or a team)
We’re a non-profit looking for deep insights into human behavior—into why people do what they do—and using that knowledge in ways that help improve lives, build better systems, and drive social change. Working globally, we reinvent the practices of institutions, and create better products and policies that can be scaled for maximum impact.
We also teach others, ultimately striving to generate lasting social impact and create a future where the universal application of behavioral science powers a world with optimal health, equitable wealth, and environments and systems that are sustainable and just for all.
For more than a decade, we’ve been at the forefront of applying behavioral science in the real world. And as we’ve developed our expertise, we’ve helped to define an entire field. Our efforts have so far extended to 40 countries as we’ve partnered with governments, foundations, NGOs, private enterprises, and a wide array of public institutions.
We value diversity and inclusion and are dedicated to growing our teams with people who have diverse experiences, backgrounds, and skills. We are committed to fair and unbiased hiring practices that support equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, ethnicity, gender, national origin, age, abilities, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Working with Us
We are a culture-first organization where rules or processes do not take precedence – people and their ability to make well-reasoned decisions do. You’ll find that our team members are deeply caring, smart, and both tenacious and rigorous in their work. We are committed to building an inclusive team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences.
Our core values are at the heart of everything at ideas42:
We live and breathe what we do. We look at everything through a BEHAVIORAL LENS.
We take OWNERSHIP. We don’t just work at ideas42, we take shared responsibility for it.
We DO GOOD. We use our expertise to improve millions of lives and create a better world for all.
We have fun. We let PLAYFULNESS inform the way we work and our approach to the world, helping to drive our creativity and improve our solutions.
We live with a SPIRIT OF GENEROSITY. We approach our colleagues, partners and people whose lives we seek to improve with an attitude of selflessness and cooperation.
We are TENACIOUS. We never take the easy route, but push to stretch the limits of what’s possible.
We are RIGOROUS in how we think and how we tackle problems.
We hope that you are excited by the opportunity to work with us. We are proud to offer a comprehensive and behaviorally designed benefits package and other perks to support our team and allow us to focus on our work of solving tough social problems.
- Insurance: We offer fully-covered medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage for you and your families.
- 401(k) Match: We contribute 3%, even if you don’t contribute at all.
- Generous Vacation and Paid Time Off: We’ve built infrastructure to encourage our team to rest and recharge throughout the year.
- Paid Parental Leave
- Fitness benefits
- Dependent Care Accounts
- Phone benefits including reimbursement towards a new smart phone
- Professional Development fund
- Loan Forgiveness: Based on our 501(c)3 status, you are able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
Application Process Overview
The ideas42 application process has four stages:
- Application: Submit your application and resume
- Case Study: Selected candidates will receive a short assignment, to be completed over approx. 1 week
- First Round Interview: Selected candidates will be invited to interview with an ideas42 program team member
- Final Round Interview: Selected candidates will be invited to interview with an ideas42 senior team member. References will also be requested and contacted during this time.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org