Website High Country News
High Country News seeks an organized and collaborative Fundraising Associate to drive donor discovery and the cultivation and acquisition of mid-level and recurring gifts. This position also takes responsibility for fundraising with a small, entry-level major donor caseload. The Fundraising Associate will be able to articulate High Country News’ work and mission, as well as the organization’s diversity goals, to prospective and existing donors.
Candidates should have highly developed interpersonal, communication and organizational skills that allow them to maintain effective and collaborative working relations with HCN donors, staff and contractors to fully support the work of the fundraising team.
Duties/Outcomes will include:
The Fundraising Associate will work under the general supervision of the Director of Philanthropy, and duties will include:
● Co-creates and manages members of a new, multi-year $1,000 giving club
● Co-manages our successful monthly giving program, working collaboratively with the Customer Service team
● Cultivates donor relationships through correspondence, virtual meetings, phone calls and some in-person visits
● Researches and identifies donor potential among donor base and collaborates on strategies for increasing their giving over time
● Maintains detailed, accurate records for mid-level donors, monthly donors and major donor caseload
● Maintains and cultivates a small caseload of major donors
● Meets annual projections for development budget of mid-level donor gifts
● Assists in planning mid-level donor cultivation and fundraising events
● Meets regularly with the Director of Philanthropy and fundraising team to review donor strategies and status of donors
● Becomes familiar with HCN’s strategic plan and policies on diversity and inclusion and proactively supports the organizational strategy to develop and execute team and individual goals
● Promotes HCN’s diversity work and other special projects with donors
● Contributes to the success of the fundraising team with general support as needed
High Country News is part of a growing number of newsrooms addressing a historic lack of representation, inclusion and equity in journalism and committed to finding effective solutions. We welcome applicants from all life experiences and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented backgrounds to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people, women, people with disabilities, two spirit and non-binary people.
Skills and experience:
We’re most interested in hearing how your own skills, broader experience and qualifications would enhance the role and benefit HCN and the communities we serve and hope to serve across the West. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about the mission and values of HCN, and driven to enhance diversity, equity and inclusion in journalism and in working practices and company cultures.
The ideal candidate has experience in fundraising or marketing, a working knowledge of fundraising techniques, good research skills, and preferably experience with donor relations and stewardship. They have demonstrable knowledge of donor database systems, together with proficiency in Word, Excel, and email platforms. A background in copy writing and editing is an advantage.
Compensation and general terms:
This is a full-time, exempt position with medical, dental, and vision healthcare benefits; paid vacation leave starting at 12 days a year plus 11 HCN paid holiday days each year; paid sick and family leave benefits; a monthly remote work stipend and IT start-up stipend; 401k retirement plan with employer match contribution; and a salary in the range of $65,815 to $69,470 annual equivalent, dependent on skills and experience.
This is a remote working role and the High Country News fundraising team is dispersed across the Western states of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. It is preferred that the position holder have access to a major airport and be able to travel to meet with donors in person and attend occasional events in the Intermountain West or West Coast. This position is not eligible for relocation expenses.
To apply, please send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com with “Fundraising Associate” in the subject line. Your cover letter should include any personal experience or qualifications you may have, and how you’d bring diversity to bear on the work. Closing date for applications is December 1, 2023. In your email, please let us know how you heard about the position.
High Country News is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion among our staff, volunteers, programs, and partners; and to creating a safe, supportive and accommodating work community. HCN is an equal opportunity employers and prohibits the unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
High Country News is the nation’s leading independent source of thoughtful, in-depth reporting on the Western United States. Established in 1970, HCN produces an award-winning monthly magazine and a popular website, along with email newsletters and events. From Alaska and the Northern Rockies to the Desert Southwest, from the Great Plains to the West Coast, HCN is a beloved and essential resource for those who care about this region. HCN is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit whose mission is to inform and inspire people to act on behalf of the West’s diverse natural and human communities.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org