Website Gender Justice
Gender Justice is a nonprofit legal, policy and political advocacy organization based in St. Paul, Minnesota working in Minnesota and North Dakota to advance gender equity through the law. We fight discrimination based on sex, gender, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We represent clients directly in state and federal court and before administrative agencies in impact and strategic litigation cases. In addition to pursuing justice through the legal system, we also advocate for policies that expand gender equity and educate the public about their rights and how to fight gender discrimination. We employ grassroots organizing, coalition building, and strategic communications and narrative strategies to create the movement momentum and cultural conditions for gender equity to flourish. We are also the institutional home of the UnRestrict Minnesota coalition and campaign which works to protect, expand, and destigmatize access to abortion care–and all reproductive healthcare in Minnesota through public education, advocacy, and the law. This is an exciting time at Gender Justice as we expand geographically to North Dakota and build our team. We’re a small but mighty organization looking for the newest member of our ambitious, highly-effective, and growing team.
The Legal Assistant is an administrative superstar, who provides essential support to the litigation team, and helps out with other organizational administrative tasks as needed.
- Perform intake consultations with potential clients
- Prepare, proofread, finalize, and efile legal documents, pleadings, discovery, etc.
- Collect, organize, and summarize discovery documents
- Assist with trial prep and provide support during trials, including with tech tools
- Assist with research on special projects
- Maintain client files
- Maintain legal calendars and calendar deadlines
- Support intern and fellow recruitment process, updating descriptions in various school systems, identifying opportunities to attract high quality applicants
- Organize and respond to intern and fellow applications
- Help organize and respond to speaker requests
- Mail distribution, file scanning and filing, as needed
- Calendar internal meetings as needed
- 2-3 years experience as a Legal Assistant or Paralegal, or comparable experience, preferred
- Paralegal certificate is a plus
- Excellent listening and communication skills
- Highly detail-oriented and proactive
- A high level of independence and good judgment
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- Strong organizational, project- and time-management skills
- Commitment to our mission and values, which include racial, social, and economic justice
- Ability to effectively cope with ongoing change, shifting gears when needed and supporting staff with wit, candor, and direction
- Sense of humor and ability to comfortably handle uncertainty while laughing along the way
Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that members of under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
Submit PDF resume and cover letter at https://tinyurl.com/GJLegalAssistant
by November 27, 2023.
To apply for this job please visit tinyurl.com.