Website FamiliesUSA Families USA Foundation
A leading national voice for health care consumers.
Position Location: Washington D.C. with Hybrid Work Schedule, Requiring 3-Days of In-Office Presence
Who We Are
Since 1981, Families USA Foundation has been a leading national voice for health care consumers. Through our long-standing relationships of consumer leaders, advocates, and partner organizations across all 50 states and the District of Columbia, we have remained steadfast in our mission – Dedicated to the achievement of high-quality, affordable healthcare and improved health for all. We advance our mission through public policy analysis, advocacy, and collaboration with partners to promote a patient-and community-centered health system.
We are looking for a Policy Analyst to provide support work to our priority issue areas, including health care pricing regulation, Medicaid and health care coverage, prescription drugs, health equity, and payment and delivery reform. Central to this role is to develop and deliver timely, efficient, tailored policy research, analysis, and reporting in support of the organization’s policy agenda. This person should have a clear understanding of the legislative and regulatory processes, federal health care programs and strategies for advocating for policy solutions in those forums, both at the state and federal levels.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Develop a level of expertise in Families USA’s health policy areas of focus and projects, including health care pricing, coverage, health equity, prescription drugs, and payment and delivery system reform.
· Perform policy research, analysis, and reporting on issues within Families core areas of focus.
· Review and analyze data, policy literature, laws and regulations to provide support in informing organizational policy recommendations and help identify opportunities for affecting policy change.
· Help build and support relationships with stakeholders, federal agencies, decision-making bodies, coalitions, working groups and other organizations.
· Work with colleagues to respond to regulatory and legislative requests or opportunities to provide feedback, including writing or coordinating regulatory comments.
· Collaborate regularly with the Strategic Partnerships team to maintain up-to-date knowledge of state and federal health policy initiatives and advocacy strategies used in other states to identify potential issues and opportunities for state partners and provide technical assistance.
· Write and edit content, including but not limited to: reports, issue briefs, fact sheets, presentations, emails, blogs, webinars, and other materials.
· Represent Families USA at external trainings, consultations, and presentations with national, state, and local advocates.
Undergraduate degree in public health or public policy or a related field, 2-3 years’ related experience preferably in a non-profit environment. A passion for social justice and for the mission of Families USA.
To perform successfully in this role, applicant should possess the specific knowledge, skills and abilities outlined below:
Knowledge (acquired information necessary to do the job, kind of knowledge required for the job)
1. Knowledge and understanding of U.S. health care policies.
2. Strong analytical abilities and an ability to perform quantitative and data analyses.
3. Experience working with coalitions and diverse stakeholders.
Skills (position-specific learned activity, generally gained through training)
1. Strong research, writing, editing and proofreading skills.
2. Excellent organizational skills with a high attention to detail and accuracy.
3. Sound judgment, analytical, problem solving and project management skills.
4. Exceptional teamwork and influencing skills.
5. Capacity to handle multiple competing priorities – including ability to be agile and work under pressure and meet deadlines.
6. Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook) and project management software.
Abilities (position-specific talents; potential to perform tasks or functions)
Ability to complete succinct policy briefs as well as more in-depth reports.
Ability to have collegial relations – working and managing coalition partners, and building consensus.
Ability to execute on highly impactful projects, including the utilization of project management software.
Ability to communicate information and ideas effectively and strategically for diverse audiences and under tight deadlines.
5. Ability to identify obstacles and address problems cooperatively and in a timely manner.
Ability to balance multiple tasks and competing demands to achieve quality results in a timely manner.
Ability to work independently and in close coordination with teams with very minimal supervision.
We offer a dynamic, empowering, and collaborative work environment that allows staff to reach their full potential. We provide an extremely attractive total compensation package, including competitive salary, hybrid work schedule: 3 days in office/2 optional WFH days, medical, dental, vision, disability and life, 403(b) retirement matching plan, 3+ weeks’ vacation, ten (10) Federal holidays and our offices are closed between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day and many more exciting benefit programs. Salary will be commensurate with experience, our salary range for this role is $65K – $72K.
How to Apply
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply online and include in your application: your cover letter, resume and writing sample. Families USA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, results of genetic testing, or service in the military.
To apply for this job please visit familiesusa.org.