Managing Director, ExpandLA
*Because of COVID-19 health protocols, day-to-day work will be remote-hybrid with 1-2 in-person work days per week.
Type: Full-time, exempt, salaried
Start Date: ASAP
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: $130,000-$160,000 commensurate with experience
VISION: The Expanded Learning Alliance (ExpandLA) is a countywide effort to reimagine where and when joyful learning happens by making the most of the time youth have beyond the school day. ExpandLA aims to create an equitable system of access for children and youth in the LA area to activate their limitless potential.
MISSION: ExpandLA is an intermediary organization that supports, connects, and advocates for expanded learning opportunities that provide equitable access for all children and youth in the LA area. By working collaboratively with school-based and community-based expanded learning organizations, we will build systems, pathways, and processes that strengthen the field to nurture a young person’s natural curiosity, empower their self-development, and cultivate the value they bring to making the world a better place.
- More high-quality programs with positive outcomes in which youth’s creative and academic pursuits are nurtured, their cultures and identities celebrated, and their skills to succeed in school, career, and life are strengthened
- Increased access to and participation in quality diverse afterschool and summer programs by fostering a rich expanded learning ecosystem accessible to all, particularly youth from historically marginalized communities
- Greater sustained investment in the expanded learning field as an essential and integrated part of every child’s educational experience, providing critical additional learning time for holistic youth development
About the Position
ExpandLA is searching for a dynamic, equity – driven leader to serve as Expand LA’s Managing Director. The Managing Director will report to and serve as a critical partner to the Executive Director to chart ExpandLA’s future growth. This position will provide managerial oversight to ExpandLA staff and manage internal operations. This position will work in close collaboration with the Executive Director to lead the advisory board and play a central role in the implementation of the strategic plan. They will bring expertise and serve as leader in the expanded learning community and as an organization ambassador to champion and promote expanded learning opportunities that provide equitable access for children and youth in the Los Angeles area.
The Managing Director must be a community-connected, passionate, and an inclusive leader as well as an advocate for the OST movement and providers.
Strategy & Leadership
- Partner with the ED to represent ExpandLA with external stakeholders, including community, governmental, and philanthropy.
- Co-lead and support efforts with the advisory board, ExpandLA provider network and OST stakeholders to identify and facilitate peer learning, resource sharing, and collaborative initiatives (informational convenings, webinars, ‘Summer of Joy’, etc), as well as identify resources to support ExpandLA and collaborative initiatives
- In partnership with ED, lead committees that focus on key goals ie. communications, as well as other Advisory/ Board committees as needed
- Oversee the implementation of a community needs assessment (ie. Landscape Report, Policy Report) to collect data and better understand opportunities for improving access to and quality of OST programs.
- Oversee the implementation of the Expanded Learning Summit, including managing the timeline, coordinating ExpandLA staff/volunteer/Advisory Board/ other roles
Communications & Marketing
- Work with communications consultant and advisory board communications ad hoc committee to implement a process that builds consensus on shared language and key messaging about OST programs and the sector.
- Oversee the development and implementation of a communications plan, and marketing plan
- Oversee the planning and process for developing marketing materials and activities to outreach and promote summer and OST programs, ensuring a collaborative approach with youth and providers throughout the process.
Strengthening Infrastructure & Operations
- Oversee day-to-day strong operations and administrative functions such as finance, administrative and HR including payroll, employee benefits
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership, as well as stewardship of ExpandLA by being actively involved in all programs and initiatives.
- Lead a continuous quality improvement process throughout the program areas, focusing on systems/process improvement.
- Manage a high performing ExpandLA team and consultants to the next level by further developing and implementing recruitment, training, and retention strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred
- Familiarity with K–12 systems, youth development practices, collective impact, and research especially related to expanded learning.
- Knowledge of and experience with LA’s OST/Youth Development community.
- 10+ years of progressive knowledge of and experience working with expanded learning leaders and providers or a related nonprofit field involving organizing, advocacy, and capacity building
- Proven commitment to social and racial justice, diversity, equity, equal access, and inclusion
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills; ability to communicate with a variety of audiences
- Excellent project management skills
- Demonstrated success forming strong community partnerships.
- Excellent organizational management skills with the ability to command respect, earn trust, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage budgets
- Experience working with collective impact initiatives, facilitating groups ie. advisory board with the ability to cultivate existing and new relationships
- Proven relationship builder and experience working in collaboration with diverse groups
- Flexibility to adapt to evolving demands and creatively solve problems
- A passion that aligns with ExpandLA’s core values and mission
- Ability to engage in courageous conversations about challenging issues
- Multilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Compensation & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
This opportunity offers a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LT disability, PTO accrual, and a 403(b) with organization matching.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Managing Director Position” in the subject line of your email. Applications received by March 6, 2023 will be prioritized. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications should consist of a résumé and a cover letter that addresses the following:
a. What about ExpandLA’s mission and the Managing Director position appeals most to you, at this point in your career?
b. Applicant’s experience leading a diverse group of people to achieve a common goal
c. Applicant’s philosophy about and experience with OST education or youth development
d. Applicant’s experience growing a network of partners and advocating for systemic change
e. Applicant’s leadership and management style and experience – Describe a challenging leadership experience and how you met that challenge.
ExpandLA is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal opportunity to all employees, applicants, and program beneficiaries. ExpandLA does not discriminate against any person because of race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, political affiliation, or citizenship. We encourage all qualified applicants, especially members of historically underrepresented groups, to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com