ExpandED is dedicated to ensuring that all young people have access to enriching learning opportunities that affirm their identities, teach them valuable skills, and spark new possibilities. Through program development, capacity-building, research and advocacy, we work toward our vision of a vibrant and stable publicly-funded system of school-community partnership so that all New York City children thrive.
Established in 1998, the organization today works with more than 119,000 children and 900 programs throughout New York City to ensure that students in under-served communities have access to innovative, engaging ways of learning to enable them to reach their full potential. Over the last two decades, ExpandED Schools’ program, research and policy efforts have led to increased recognition of the academic, social, and emotional benefits of afterschool, increased funding, and new models for school-community partnership.
Purpose of Position
ExpandED Schools manages after-school and expanded learning time program funding administered through the New York City Department of Youth & Community Development (DYCD) and supports after-school program services in collaboration with the New York City Department of Education’s Office of Community Schools (OCS). Program Managers work closely with school and community-based organization (CBO) teams in an effort to support programs in their local schools that conform to ExpandED Schools, DYCD and OCS program quality standards.
Reporting to the Director of Comprehensive Program Support, the Program Manager will oversee a portfolio of approximately 20-25 school sites. The Program Manager will be the primary liaison between ExpandED Schools, CBO partners, schools, and related organizations within the after-school and expanded learning time community. The Program Manager will serve as a resource and support to school-CBO teams to ensure students participate in high-quality activities that integrate what happens in the school day with less formal learning experiences in the after-school environment. The Program Manager will oversee budget and expenses review and approval for their respective program portfolio; assess program quality through on-site observations; and formulate narrative feedback reports as required by ExpandED Schools, DYCD, OCS and other funders.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversee all aspects of quality assurance at assigned school sites, including supporting school-CBO teams with formulating program designs, schedules, and budgets; monitor and assess the quality of program activities; analyze data and support conversations with school-CBO teams related to student enrollment and attendance; reinforce program compliance with Department of Education and Office of Children & Family Services regulations for childcare, health and safety; maintain program portfolio files, including internal and external program narrative reports and site visit records
- Coach and support program leaders in the implementation of quality after-school and expanded learning time offerings that includes both academics and enrichment activities such as the arts, sports, literacy and STEM
- Conduct site visits to identify promising practices as well as opportunities for strengthening quality, and provide written feedback to school-CBO teams to foster continuous improvement
- Facilitate reflection and planning sessions with school-CBO teams to support aligned actions toward common results and data-driven decision making
- Design and implement workshops on promising practices in the field of after-school and expanded learning
- Serve as a knowledge-base about their respective program sites by providing qualitative and anecdotal data to shape ExpandED/DYCD/OCS policies as well as the growing field of after-school and expanded learning
- Organize meetings and institutes between ExpandED, program sites and other stakeholders as needed
- Collaborate on intra and inter-departmental special projects as needed
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Commitment to educational equity
- Bachelor’s degree and at least three years of teaching or related experience in the youth services and/or education field required
- Experience supporting partnerships between schools and community organizations particularly in a coaching capacity, strongly preferred
- Strong cultural competence with respect for and extensive knowledge of the cultures of the various stakeholders we work with and the communities we serve
- Commitment to collaboration and participating as a member of a team that recognizes that it is strengthened through its diversity
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with a proven ability to execute tasks efficiently
- Strong communication and facilitation skills, including clear and persuasive speaking and writing
- Expertise in using data to improve programs and instruction
- Ability to collaborate effectively with diverse stakeholders and execute projects independently
- Computer skills, especially MS Office: Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Flexibility, adaptability and comfort with complexity and change
- Willingness to travel throughout NYC for schools visits (up to 2-3 days per week)
This position requires regular use of public transportation and regular work in school buildings that may require climbing stairs.
Salary Range: $69,000 – $74,000
This is a full-time, temporary, contract-limited position through June 30, 2023, with the possibility of continuation pending contract renewal.
ExpandED Schools offers a generous benefits package, which includes:
- Full-time and eligible part-time employees receive medical, dental and vision plans for employees and dependents, largely subsidized by ExpandED Schools
- Health, dependent care and transit pre-tax accounts
- Employer-paid life insurance and supplemental disability coverage
- A generous paid time off package which includes 24 vacation days, 8 sick days, and 12 paid holidays (prorated for part-time staff)
- 403b retirement plan with eligibility for employer contribution of 5% of annual compensation after one year of employment (no match requirement)
- Commitment to work-life balance
- Partial tuition reimbursement offered to employees after six months of service
- Professional development opportunities, including funds to participate in external training and coaching opportunities
ExpandED Schools believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. ExpandED Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to:
email@example.com, Subject: Program Manager, Comprehensive Program Support. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org