ExpandED Schools is dedicated to ensuring that all young people have access to enriching learning opportunities that affirm their identities, teach them valuable skills, and spark new possibilities. Through program development, capacity-building, research and advocacy, we work toward our vision of a vibrant and stable publicly-funded system of school-community partnerships so that all New York City children thrive.
Established in 1998, the organization today reaches more than 119,000 children and 900 programs throughout New York City to ensure that students in under-served communities have access to innovative, engaging ways of learning to enable them to reach their full potential. Over the last two decades, ExpandED Schools’ program, research and policy efforts have led to increased recognition of the academic, social, and emotional benefits of afterschool, increased funding, and new models for school-community partnership. The pandemic further highlighted the importance of academic and SEL support as well as ExpandED’s vital function in providing high-quality learning activities.
About the Position
Reporting to the Senior Director of Work-Based Learning, the Future Ready Program Manager will work in partnership with all stakeholders to implement a shared vision for the Future Ready Education Pathway, including managing and supporting CBO and school partners to ensure successful implementation.
The Future Ready Education Pathway supports high schools in finding career exploratory events and internships for students interested in a career in education. In year 1, the Program Manager will support 6 schools to include education pathways exploratory events into their scope and sequence, develop partnerships with non-profit organizations for internship placements, and support student recruitment. This position will use the learnings from implementing the FutureReady pilot to provide feedback on the implementation for future years.
The right candidate for the role has strong familiarity with at least two of the three areas: formal high school education, out of school time program management, or New York City CTE schools.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as an active part of a team at each high school developing a sequenced and integrated career pathway in education and youth development for students that includes coursework, career awareness and exposure, and work-based learning
- Develop internship opportunities for high school students with elementary and middle schools or after school programs, including attention to supervision and logistics.
- Develop training for schools and after school programs on hiring high school students.
- Support the recruitment and enrollment of high school youth into exploratory events and internship opportunities.
- Develop career exploratory opportunities (field trips and guest speakers) for school partners.
- Support the development of tools and templates to support the implementation of the education pathway.
- Provide feedback to stakeholders on program needs.
- Develop and/or monitor partnerships with nonprofit organizations and schools needed to support the education pathway.
- Coordinate and conduct support and coaching visits to implementation schools and partners to provide on-site support, and to observe program quality; meet with school teams (principal, community partners, and educators) to support program implementation.
- Assist research and reporting efforts as needed by collecting data and documenting support to students and schools.
ExpandED Schools is currently working in a hybrid environment. This position will require semi-frequent travel to school locations.
- Commitment to educational equity.
- Experience building and supporting partnerships between schools, community organizations, and cultural institutions, particularly in a coaching capacity.
- Passion for building work-based learning; previous knowledge and experience strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least four years of experience related to formal or informal high school education; Experience working in NYC public schools or afterschool strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of NYSED learning standards a plus
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills, including the ability to clearly communicate complex programs to program partners, to share our work during conferences, and to lead high-quality professional learning for educators
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with a proven ability to execute tasks efficiently and with strong attention to detail
- Ability to collaborate effectively with diverse stakeholders and execute projects independently
- Flexibility, adaptability, and comfort with complexity and change
Computer skills in Google Drive, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
Salary Range: $70,000 – $74,000; position is currently funded through June 30, 2023 with the possibility of renewal.
ExpandED Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Our benefits package includes:
- Full-time and eligible part-time employees receive medical, dental and vision plans for employees and dependents, largely subsidized by ExpandED Schools
- Health, dependent care and transit pre-tax accounts
- Employer-paid life insurance and supplemental disability coverage
- Paid time off package which includes 24 vacation days, 8 sick days, and 12 paid holidays
- 403b retirement plan with eligibility for employer contribution of 5% of annual compensation after one year of employment (no match requirement)
- Commitment to work-life balance
- Partial tuition reimbursement offered to employees after six months of service
- Professional development opportunities, including funds to participate in training and coaching
ExpandED Schools believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. ExpandED Schools is an equal opportunity employer, and as such, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: Future Ready Program Manager. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com