ExpandED Schools is dedicated to ensuring that all young people have access to enriching learning opportunities that affirm their identities, teach them valuable skills, and spark new possibilities. Through program development, capacity-building, research and advocacy, we work toward our vision of a vibrant and stable publicly-funded system of school-community partnerships so that all New York City children thrive.
Established in 1998, the organization today reaches more than 119,000 children and 900 programs throughout New York City to ensure that students in under-served communities have access to innovative, engaging ways of learning to enable them to reach their full potential. Over the last two decades, ExpandED Schools’ program, research and policy efforts have led to increased recognition of the academic, social, and emotional benefits of afterschool, increased funding, and new models for school-community partnership. The pandemic further highlighted the importance of academic and SEL support as well as ExpandED’s vital function in providing high-quality learning activities.
About the Position
Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, the Director of STEM Programs oversees the design, development, implementation, and innovation of initiatives that advance all aspects of ExpandED’s strategy related to informal STEM education. The Director leads STEM program creation, manages partnership-building efforts, field-building, and dissemination activities. The Director manages ExpandED’s STEM team and leads their efforts to curate curricula, resources and professional learning experiences that support educators with helping youth to broaden their understanding of the world by seeing themselves in STEM. The Director also presides over the NYC STEM Education Network, a multi-sector coalition of over 100 STEM-focused organizations and institutions, for which ExpandED serves as the backbone organization. The Network serves as a catalyst for new ideas, partnerships, and collaborative projects. These efforts, in turn, expand, enhance, and sustain STEM learning opportunities for all learners in New York City, with a particular focus on youth who have been marginalized and excluded from STEM learning experiences.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead efforts to support the implementation of culturally relevant, high-quality STEM in the afterschool and expanded learning sectors.
- Advance ExpandED’s efforts to integrate SEL into STEM programming, with a focus on Youth Voice and Civic Engagement. This includes curating curricula, resources and professional learning experiences that support educators with helping youth to broaden their understanding of the world by seeing themselves in STEM, and taking action in their community.
- Review and approve all ExpandED STEM-related professional development and coaching activities to continuously improve offerings.
- Assist the Institutional Advancement (IA) team with fundraising and reporting for STEM projects throughout the organization. This includes working with the IA team to identify and cultivate potential grant opportunities aligned with ExpandED’s STEM vision and helping to manage relationships with mission-aligned funders.
- Oversee the annual selection of the Kelley Fellow and Network Steering Committee Members, whom collectively provide public-facing leadership for the Network, set annual priorities and projects, and co-lead Network meeting facilitation.
- Lead collaboration efforts with ExpandED’s Communications, Policy, and Research Teams to identify, document and disseminate best practices related to collaborative teaching and STEM learning experiences occurring across STEM Educator Academy programs as well as programs offered by NYC STEM Education Network members.
- Oversee ExpandED intermediary functions, which includes managing STEM program funding award and contracting agreement processes with partners, budget and expense report approvals, and maintaining appropriate records for required reports.
- Manage the comprehensive STEM budget, which includes an array of funding sources, and work with the ExpandED Finance Team to ensure resources are used efficiently and in compliance with funder requirements.
- Deep commitment to ExpandED Schools’ vision of an equitable public education system that prepares young people for long-term success.
- Strong cultural competence with respect for and knowledge of the cultures of stakeholders we work with and communities we serve.
- Experience in managing a team and supervising staff strongly preferred.
- Experience in developing and managing program budgets.
- Experience supporting or launching cross-sector partnerships, preferably between content-area providers, schools and/or community organizations.
- Experience in designing, facilitating, and administering professional networks, communities of practice, coalitions, or similar collaborative structures.
- Experience leading initiatives connected to public schools and/or afterschool programs preferably in New York City strongly preferred.
- Three or more years’ experience in K-8 teaching, preferably in STEM
Excellent speaking, writing, and facilitation skills with diverse audiences.
- Outstanding organizational skills, motivation, and detail-orientation.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and comfort with complexity and change.
- Creative thinking, strong interpersonal skills, the desire to work collaboratively, and a sense of humor.
- Competent computer skills, including knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Willingness and ability to travel within New York City and occasional overnight trips.
ExpandED Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Our benefits package includes:
- Full-time and eligible part-time employees receive medical, dental and vision plans for employees and dependents, largely subsidized by ExpandED Schools
- Health, dependent care and transit pre-tax accounts
- Employer-paid life insurance and supplemental disability coverage
- Paid time off package which includes 24 vacation days, 8 sick days, and 13 paid holidays
- 403b retirement plan with eligibility for employer contribution of 5% of annual compensation after one year of employment (no match requirement)
- Commitment to work-life balance
- Partial tuition reimbursement offered to employees after six months of service
- Professional development opportunities, including funds to participate in training and coaching
ExpandED Schools believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. ExpandED Schools is an equal opportunity employer, and as such, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, Subject: Director of STEM Programs. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org