Website Delaware Riverkeeper Network
The Delaware Riverkeeper Network (DRN), based in Bristol, PA, is committed to creating an inclusive community of staff and volunteers that is representative of the Watershed we serve. In doing so, we are better able to champion the rights of our communities to a Delaware River and tributary streams that are free-flowing, clean, healthy, and abundant with a diversity of life. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds create a stronger voice for the River.
DRN is seeking to hire a Fossil Fuel Infrastructure Fellow to join DRN’s legal team for a term of one year.
DRN works to protect the Delaware River watershed and ecosystems from threats such as shale gas extraction, pipeline and powerline construction, dredging, stormwater runoff, wetlands degradation, species take, and pollution. DRN’s legal team consists of two full-time litigation track attorneys, a full-time research and legal associate, and a semester-based law clinic. The full-time litigation track attorneys report to Ms. van Rossum, who is the Delaware Riverkeeper, leader of DRN, and also an attorney.
DRN seeks a Fossil Fuel Infrastructure Fellow to provide support and assistance to DRN’s legal team by investigating and challenging proposals for the siting, construction, and operation of large-scale fossil fuel infrastructure in the Delaware River Watershed. The fellow will be a member of the legal team and advance significant work while building the skills necessary to be an effective environmental litigator.
- Senior Litigation Attorney
- Craft, submit and track public records requests to various state and federal agencies
- Analyze, organize, and synthesize voluminous documents received from public records requests
- Conduct library and internet research, drafting short summary reports
- Research and draft legal memos and supporting documents for the Delaware Riverkeeper and DRN’s litigation attorneys
- Help draft legal filings for the court, including preparing copying, binding, collating, tabbing, etc. briefs, and providing final edit review of documents to be filed with the court
- Check daily/weekly online sources for relevant issues related to fossil fuel infrastructure
- Help organize and advance collaboration with experts and other organizations involved in legal or advocacy work
- Other duties as assigned
- Law degree received
- A demonstrated interest in environmental law
- Excellent communication and legal writing skills
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Computer literacy, especially with MS Word, Excel, and Adobe
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Good time-management skills
- Insurance: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short & Long Term Disability
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match after one year of employment
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Medical, Dependent Care
- Generous time-off policies
- Relaxed work atmosphere and dress code
The position is based in DRN’s main office in Bristol, Bucks County, PA. DRN staff are currently working remotely from their homes due to the COVID 19 pandemic. As a result, this position will be largely remote. However, travel to the Bristol office will be required as needed.
- Submit cover letter, resume, names and contact information for three references, at least one self-edited legal writing sample, and other pertinent information
- Please send email with the required attachments to the attention of Maya van Rossum, the Delaware Riverkeeper, at email@example.com.
- Email subject line should read, “Fossil Fuel Infrastructure Fellowship Application.” No telephone calls.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Essential Functions of Position and Working Conditions:
- Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the job, including some physical work, with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Constantly required to remain in a stationary position and operate standard office equipment, such as a computer, phones, photocopiers, printers, and fax machines.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Occasionally required to move files, open filing cabinets and position self as necessary.
- Work will be primarily indoors, in an office setting.
The employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and, if requested, reasonably accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job, absent undue hardship. DRN retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
DRN is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org