Website Covenant House NY
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Resident Advisor provides all Youth Shelter residents with holistic and comprehensive supportive services in a positive and nurturing environment using an integrated, multidisciplinary team approach. Reporting to CHNY’s Program Coordinator, the Resident Advisor will support a culture that successfully achieves meaningful results for the young people we serve.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(Responsibilities to include but not limited to the following)
- Provide direct engagement, supervision, and support to youth residing in shelter.
- Operate fully out of CHNY’s mission, vision and 5 principles and maintain an environment that displays this culture.
- Ensure that the floor and rooms are clean, safe and well-lit in preparation for the new youth entering the program. Ensure that floors and rooms remain serviceable throughout youth residency.
- Monitor program and client activities to ensure a safe and secure environment. Including, but not limited to securing the unit in the event of an altercation, conducting room searches in accordance with CHNY policy, assisting in evacuation during drills and emergencies.
- Welcome youth to floor and orient youth to floor expectations, Mission Statement and 5 principles.
- Assist youth with preparation for the day. Support youth in life skills, ie. laundry, ironing, cleaning etc.
- Provide support to Case Managers as needed, distribute appointment slips, appointment follow up, collection and filing of paperwork, assist with file maintenance and compliance,
- Must have an understanding of the youth service plan.
- Maintain ETO records and clearly document all youth activities and meaningful interactions using the S.O.A.P. format.
- Escort youths to other agencies and services when necessary (e.g., hospitals, mass transit).
- Conduct room searches for Youth Shelter residents after emergency evacuations to ensure everyone is safely off the floor.
- Create a sanctuary for youth on the floor.
- Provide direct support and monitoring when escorting youth to clothing rooms, being in the cafeteria for meals, and participating in recreation activities, group activities, and special events.
- Directly engage with youth at all levels of service, i.e., “Be where the youth are”
- Maintain healthy relationships with the youth, mindful of boundaries and mutual respect.
- Conduct nightly meetings focused on CHNY Mission and Principles, motivation, mutual support, and community building.
- Conduct workshops on various life-skill issues, such as hygiene, anger management, self-esteem, problem-solving, cleaning and laundry.
- Complete all incident reports fully and correctly by the end of the shift and submit them to appropriate parties.
- Participate in all required training, supervision, and staff meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned/needed.
Education & Experience
High School/GED with 1 year of relevant work experience required. Bachelor’s Degree Preferred
Experience working with at-risk youth strongly preferred.
- NYS Driver’s license preferred. Comfortability driving a 7-passenger van is a plus.
- Interest in working with homeless and runaway youth issues; with a focus on housing, employment, education and health services.
- Excellent organizational skills to develop living situations for young adults.
- Ability to monitor and de-escalate in a crisis situation.
Ability to follow instructions, prioritize assignments and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexible work schedule to include evenings, weekends and holidays.
“CH is a vaccinated employer. As such, prospective new hires will be required to provide proof of vaccination or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by the date of hire to be considered.”
Covenant House New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job please visit www.paycomonline.net.