Website Covenant House NY
Resident Advisor – Shelter
Purpose of Position:
The Resident Advisor provides all Youth Shelter residents with holistic and comprehensive supportive services in a positive and nurturing environment using an integrated, multidisciplinary team approach. Reporting to CHNYs Program Coordinator, the Resident Advisor will support a culture that successfully achieves meaningful results for the young people we serve.
Shift: 2:30pm -10:30pm
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(Responsibilities to include but not limited to the following)
- Provide direct engagement, supervision and support to youth residing in shelter.
- Operate fully out of CHNYs mission, vision and 5 principles and maintain an environment that displays this culture.
- Ensure that the floor and rooms are clean, safe and well-lit in preparation for the new youth entering program. Ensure that floors and rooms remain serviceable throughout youth residency.
- Monitor program and client activities to ensure a safe and secure environment. Including, but not limited to securing the unit in the event of an altercation, conducting room searches in accordance with
- CHNY policy, assisting in evacuation during drills and emergencies.
- Welcome youth to floor and orient youth to floor expectations, Mission Statement and 5 principles.
- Assist youth with preparation for the day. Support youth in life skills, ie. laundry, ironing, cleaning etc.
- Provide support to Case Managers as needed, distribute appointment slips, appointment follow up, collection and filing of paperwork, assist with file maintenance and compliance,
- Must have an understanding of the youth service plan.
- Maintain ETO records and clearly document all youth activities and meaningful interactions using the S.O.A.P. format.
- Escort youths to other agencies and services when necessary (e.g., hospitals, mass transit).
- Conduct room searches for Youth Shelter residents after emergency evacuations to ensure everyone is safely off the floor.
- Create a sanctuary for youth on the floor.
- Provide direct support and monitoring when escorting youth to clothing rooms, being in the cafeteria for meals, participating in recreation activities, group activities and special events.
- Directly engage with youth at all levels of service, i.e., Be where the youth are
- Maintain healthy relationships with the youth, mindful of boundaries and mutual respect.
- Conduct nightly meetings focused on CHNY Mission and Principles, motivation, mutual support and community building.
- Conduct workshops on various life-skill issues, such as hygiene, anger management, self-esteem, and problem-solving, cleaning and laundry.
- Complete all incident reports fully and correctly by end of shift and submit to appropriate parties.
- Participate in all required trainings, supervision and staff meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned/needed.
Education & Experience
High School/GED with 1 year of relevant work experience required. Bachelors Degree Preferred
Experience working with at-risk youth strongly preferred.
NYS Drivers license preferred. Comfortability driving a 7-passenger van a plus.
Interest in working with homeless and runaway youth issues; with a focus on housing, employment, education and health services.
Excellent organizational skills to develop living situations for young adults.
Ability to monitor and de-escalate in a crisis situation.
Ability to follow instructions, prioritize assignments and work in a fast-paced environment.
Flexible work schedule to include evenings, weekends and holidays.
Covenant House New York offers a rich package of benefits including but not limited to full medical, vision, dental, life, and short and long-term disability insurance and other fringe benefits. Eligibility for medical benefits begins on the date of hire. PTO includes 3 weeks of vacation in the first year, 10 holidays, 13 sick days, 5 personal days and birthday days off. Benefits include a 403b with employer contribution after 12 months. There are also multiple additional optional benefits (including additional life, disability, accident and cancer insurance) available at significantly reduced rates.
“CH is a vaccinated employer. As such, prospective new hires will be required to provide proof of vaccination or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by the date of hire to be considered.”
Covenant House New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to NChin@covenanthouse.org