Website Community Shares of Colorado
Connecting Coloradans to the causes they care most about.
The Development & Communications Manager is a central role on the Community Shares team focused on the creation and implementation of fundraising strategy and activities and manages the creation and dissemination of communications and marketing materials furthering Community Shares’ mission. This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
COMMUNITY SHARES OVERVIEW
Community Shares is Colorado’s Community Giving Fund. We believe in shared progress and collectively building a more socially and racially just Colorado. We invest resources, build capacity, and elevate the work of Colorado based nonprofits working for social change and advancing social justice. We do this by connecting individuals, nonprofits, and employers through our community giving and workplace engagement programs to democratize philanthropy so it reflects our vital and vibrant community – both who is giving and where those dollars are designated. Our programs inspire accessible, meaningful, and transformational philanthropy through incremental giving options like payroll contributions and workplace engagement options like matching funds, employee volunteer incentives, and corporate giving strategies. Annually, we engage more than 250,000 employees across the state, encouraging them to give more than $3 million annually to nonprofits working for social change in our community. In 2021, we celebrated 35 years of giving, collectively raising more than $40 million for local investment in Colorado nonprofits. While our team is currently working remotely, our offices are located in the Colorado Collaborative for Nonprofits at 789 Sherman St. in Denver, Colorado. Learn more about our organization at www.cshares.org.
Fundraising & Resource Development (70% of time)
The Development & Communications Manager is responsible for contributed income supporting the mission and operations of the organization (approx $310K) including a time-bound small capital campaign to invest in operating systems technology (approx $150K). Annually participate in the creation and implementation of a comprehensive and measurable development plan to achieve organizational strategic goals. The organization’s annual operating budget is approximately $650K-$700K which supports an annual philanthropic footprint of $3M raised in the community through our Community Giving programs.
- Strategic Resource Development – work with the CEO to build organizational capacity. Develop new funding initiatives, lead solicitations, refine existing initiatives, expand earned revenue opportunities, and engage the board of directors and staff in fund development and community outreach. Develop accurate projections and achievable stretch goals with ability to anticipate and adapt to evolving organization needs. Includes developing strategy and leading solicitation for Technology Fundraising Campaign.
- Individual Fundraising includes solicitation, strategy development, and implementation for all aspects of the identification, cultivation, engagement, and stewardship of relationships with new and existing individual donors; design and implement major gift and planned giving activities; lead fundraising communication efforts, activities, and strategy. Ensuring high-quality, donor-centric communication with Community Shares’ stakeholders.
- Partnerships, Sponsorships, and Grants includes cultivation of new and existing corporate partners and funders; implementation of strategies to secure new and existing grants, sponsorships, and key partnerships; build and enhance relationships with local businesses and the Colorado foundation community; and lead grants process from research through writing, submission, and final reporting.
- Special Events and Key Meetings includes directing goal setting and overall strategy and event execution for fundraising and donor cultivation events including Community Shares’ major annual event – the Summer Celebration – secondary events, and organization business meetings.
Communications & Marketing (25% of time)
Manage organization’s communications, brand, and marketing strategy in support of organizational strategic priorities and community engagement.
- Strategic Communications & Marketing – includes creation of written and visual content for websites, social media platforms, e-communications, donor communications, newsletters, annual report, information pieces, event promotion, and public presentations.
- Program Communication Alignment – Produce program-specific and custom communication development to ensure alignment with organization-wide communication & marketing strategy, including storytelling and centering work of member nonprofits. Maintain websites for multiple campaign brands represented by Community Shares.
Organizational Support (5% of time)
The Development & Communications Manager supports the CEO in accurately reporting fundraising activities and provides administrative support to the Board of Director’s Resource Development Committee.
- Reporting – participates in the reconciliation of financial data to ensure accurate reporting of fundraising revenues.
- Committee support of the Resource Development Committee, including creation of meeting agendas with input from committee chair, minute-taking, and scheduling.
Community Shares of Colorado actively supports a diverse fund of member nonprofits in the community working in support of a more just Colorado. We ensure causes like racial justice, immigrant rights, civil rights, reproductive justice, health equity, food justice, access to education & the arts, and wildlife & environmental conservation are all part of the dialogue in our community, in our philanthropy, and in our workplaces. The Development & Communications Manager must be willing to positively and enthusiastically represent and fundraise on behalf of all represented nonprofits. The full list can be found at http://www.cshares.org/our-nonprofits.html
WE SEEK THE FOLLOWING TALENTS
- Passion for the art of fundraising, call time, and making the ask – with a drive to grow the organization into the future
- Demonstrated success in building strong, collaborative, and effective relationships on behalf of an organization
- Clear understanding of personal leadership style with a commitment to equity in the workplace and in service delivery
- Supervisory experience with demonstrated ability to lead with a professional development mindset
- Successful demonstrated experience both developing and executing fundraising and growth strategy to achieve results
- Proven experience effectively moving multiple strategic priorities forward simultaneously
- Adherence to high ethical standards in fundraising to ensure donor trust and transparency
- Commitment to continuous learning and improvement personally and professionally
- Enthusiasm and commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Community Shares
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated professional success in nonprofit fundraising positions
- Three + years of demonstrated success and advancement in a professional setting, nonprofit sector preferred
- Demonstrated communications and brand management experience
- Proficient in virtual meeting technology including Zoom, Google Meet
- Proficient in Excel and other Microsoft programs, and familiarity with fundraising database systems (Access, Harness) and CRM software
- Familiarity with communication and design systems (Constant Contact, Weebly, Canva, Piktochart)
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Starting salary of $50,000. Community Shares’ current benefits package includes 100% employer paid health insurance, dental & vision; 403(b) retirement plan with employer match up to 3% of salary fully vested in year 3 of service; pre-tax Health Expense FSA; generous paid vacation, sick, and holiday leave; employee giving campaign & paid volunteer time-off; American Fundraising Professionals (AFP) Colorado Chapter membership; and dedicated professional development budget.
We are thrilled you are interested in applying for this position! Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject “[Your Name] – Development & Communications Manager.” The cover letter may be addressed to Robin Wood-Mason, CEO.
The position will remain open until filled; however interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume by Friday, September 9, 2022. Qualified candidates will be interviewed as applications are received with a goal of hire by late September/early October 2022.
Community Shares of Colorado does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender expression, marital status, military status, veteran status, physical or mental disability or any other unlawful basis in the administration of services, employment, volunteers, membership or leadership. Community Shares of Colorado provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals based on qualifications related to the position and the ability to perform the job.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org