We are looking for a collaborative and creative Social Media Associate to join our Communications team. This is a key role supporting our work to grow and diversify our audience and volunteer base as we work to engage millions more in our fight to protect and strengthen democracy.
In this role, you will work closely with teams across our organization to support our strategy to drive engagement through the Common Cause national social media accounts, our Democracy Wire blog, and through collaboration with our state teams on their social media accounts. You will also be a first point of contact for volunteers and members who reach out to us on our social media platforms and via email.
This role reports to the Multimedia Director and can be based anywhere within the lower 48 United States. We hope our new Social Media Associate will start as soon as possible.
· Support our creative and data-driven social media strategy
· Use our brand and style guidelines to manage Common Cause’s national social media accounts, drafting timely, cross-channel graphics, videos, and text content that promotes our priorities and key message
· Collect data on top-performing content and overall performance
· Stay up to date on new features and best practices in social media platforms
· Identify events and opportunities to expand our reach, engage our followers, grow our following, and further our mission
· Support our planning for long-term social media campaigns and high-profile moments
· Monitor and identity breaking news and cultural moments that can promote our work
· Uplift and promote content from our followers, elected officials, partners, influencers and others
· Collaborate with teams to plan for weeknight, weekend, and holiday social media publishing and on-call coverage
· Collaborate with other teams and leaders in and out of the organization to expand our reach
· Assist teammates across the organization with strategies and draft content that can drive engagement and promote our work through their personal social media accounts
· Develop social media toolkits with templates and strategic guidance that increase our state teams’ capacity to promote priority campaigns
· Manage a system for timely responses to members and activists who contact us
· Build and maintain relationships with the social media practitioners at allied organizations; and play an active role in coordinating coalition-wide collaborative efforts.
You will thrive in this role if you have:
· A strong commitment to Common Cause’s nonpartisan mission, and a desire to communicate that mission to promote our work
· An understanding of how to use existing social media to engage an audience, and excitement for learning new social media technology
· Strong writing skills and the ability to translate complex information into easy-to-understand content
· Experience working quickly and in a fast-paced environment
· A track record of building strong relationships and working collaboratively with diverse groups of people
· An ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
· Strong organization skills, and an ability to manage your time independently
· Openness to feedback and awareness of your own strengths and areas for growth
The following is required:
· Experience managing social media accounts for an organization in a professional, volunteer, campaign, campus, or club setting (it’s a bonus if you have experience running livestreams)
· Experience growing followers and increasing engagement from followers on social media
· Experience working on an issue-based or political campaign
· Experience learning new software (it’s a bonus if you already know how to use Photoshop, Illustrator, meme & GIF generators, and/or Canva)
· Candidates may not currently be in elected office or running for office
· Ability to travel 1-2 times per year for team and/or all staff retreats
Additional information about this role:
· This position is included in a union-represented collective bargaining unit and specific employment terms and conditions are subject to collective bargaining negotiations.
· Common Cause is unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment visa at this time; please note that if hired, you will be asked to produce documentation for authorization to work in the US.
Salary: $60,000 – $70,000 a year
In addition to salary, we also offer a generous benefits package (details here: https://www.commoncause.org/our-benefits/).
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants of any race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, income class, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status, as well as applicants who have been previously incarcerated.
Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process.
Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.5 million members and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and offices in 25 states around the country.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.