We seek a Money in Politics Program Manager who will lead California Common Cause’s work to create campaign financing systems that lift the voices of regular people and communities, counteract the influence of wealthy special interests, and break the nexus of money and power in our California’s democracy.
The Money in Politics Program Manager will lead/anchor local coalitions working toward money-in-politics reform, and will make the case – to partners, the public, and decision-makers – that building an inclusive and equitable democracy requires creating campaign finance systems that lift the voices of communities of color and low-income communities. The Money in Politics Program Manager’s work will include learning/using campaign finance policy and law, doing policy development and advocacy, educating, and motivating local partners that have rarely worked on campaign finance issues, working with diverse stakeholders, and building/managing complex coalition environments.
Following a critical win in 2022 – the passage of Measure W in the City of Oakland – a focus of the position’s work will be implementing the nation’s second Democracy Dollars program in Oakland and bringing similar democracy reforms to other cities in 2024.
California Common Cause (CCC) is a nonpartisan nonprofit organization fighting for a better, healthier, and more inclusive California democracy. We work to undo historic inequities in our state and local governments and to build democratic institutions that are responsive to and reflective of the communities they are meant to serve.
Executes key programs & strategies aimed at advancing a more inclusive, equitable, representative, and responsive democracy. This includes:
- Campaigns – Shape and execute multi-year campaigns to move policy through city councils or via ballot initiatives.
- Coalition Building – Build and engage coalitions around priority campaigns. Represent the organization in coalition spaces. Manage coalition dynamics.
- Research & Policy – Conduct policy research, hold and share policy expertise, work with experts and stakeholders to do policy development. Do advocacy to local and state decision-makers.
- Grassroots Engagement – Bring community members to the cause and engage them in organization’s money-in-politics efforts, both online and in person. Channel Common Cause membership and broader public engagement to have effective impact.
- Member Engagement – Build awareness of and support for California Common Cause and engage our members in priority campaigns.
Work/Office/Travel Requirements: The person in this role will have the choice to be fully remote, partially remote, or fully based in our LA-region office located in Alhambra, CA.
- 4-10 years of experience in policy, campaigns, coalition-management, and/or organizing.
- Familiarity with and deep interest in campaign finance law and policy.
- Demonstrated ability to do policy analysis and create policy-oriented written work product, e.g., memos, briefs, factsheets, etc.
- Ability to guide and lead coalitions.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and the ability to motivate people to act.
- Commitment to the public interest and Common Cause’s mission.
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Extremely high attention to detail and extremely strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural competency, including the ability to work effectively with those belonging to groups of diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, language, ability, age and socioeconomic status.
- Working knowledge and proficiency with social media tools including Facebook and Twitter; proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work independently in a deadline-driven environment with competing priorities.
- Willingness to travel and flexibility to occasionally work evenings and weekends.
- Flexible, self-starter, multi-tasker with the ability to thrive in an open office environment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, activities, or responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
Salary Range: $80,000 – $92,000, plus generous benefits package.
Classification: This position is included in a union-represented collective bargaining unit and specific employment terms and conditions are subject to collective bargaining negotiations.
To Apply: Please submit Resume and Cover Letter and three references to email@example.com and include Money in Politics Program Manager in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Covid-19 vaccines are required, except where prohibited by law. Reasonable accommodations will be provided when required by law.
Equity & Inclusion: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Common Cause is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the organization and believes strongly in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce.
About Common Cause: Common Cause (501(c)(4)) and Common Cause Education Fund (501(c)(3)) are nonpartisan, nonprofit grassroots affiliate organizations dedicated to upholding the core values of American democracy. We work to create open, honest, and accountable government that serves the public interest; promote equal rights, opportunity, and representation for all; and empower all people to make their voices heard in the political process.
Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Washington, DC, Common Cause has more than 1.5 million members (about the population of New Hampshire) and supporters living in every Congressional district in the United States, and offices in 30 states around the country.
To apply for this job please visit www.commoncause.org.