Website Classical Theatre of Harlem
CTH is seeking an experienced arts and/or humanities education and community engagement professional to serve as its first full time Director of Education and Community Programs. This senior-level position provides an opportunity to be part of a boundary-breaking theatre company and the only professional theatre company above 96th Street dedicated to the classical canon, revivals, new works, and musicals. It is essential that the Director of Education and Community Programs enjoys having an active and dynamic presence in all the communities CTH serves.
Essential Job Functions
- Collaborates with Senior Staff to set annual Education and Community Program goals and sees to the achievement of those goals
- Initiates and deepens the external relationships with New York City public schools and several cultural institutions, social service organizations, and community partners
- Directs all education and community partnerships and engagement activities across CTH’s ambitious programming
- Leads the vision and strategy development for education and community initiatives
- Builds the relationships and partnerships necessary to facilitate these initiatives
- Ensures a consistent mission-driven focus on all education and community programs
- Galvanizes collaborative participation of all departments, company and board members as needed
- Represents the company locally, nationally, and internationally to funders, organizations, associations, colleges and universities in regard to Education and Community Programs and the mission of CTH
- Develops and manages the departmental budget
- Hires, supervises, and provides training and mentorship for staff, teaching artists, and organizational interns
- Collaborates with development department to steward program-specific donor relationships, including the collaborative creation of proposals for individual and institutional funders
- Develops and maintains relationships with the Board of Directors in service of Education and Community Programs. Attends board and committee meetings and presents as needed
- Acts as a contributing member of the senior leadership team, helping to set and implement strategic plans and maintain a collegial and constructive work environment
Skills & Qualifications
- Background in arts education (theatre a plus) management and implementation
- Knowledge of NYC’s arts education and community engagement eco-system, trends, and infrastructure as well as the same beyond NYC.
- Experience managing direct-reports, and/or teaching artists and consultants
- Experience with the NYC DOE application and administrative processes
- A proven ability to build internal and external stakeholder relationships to support and advocate for education and community initiatives
- Work experience in performing arts, cultural institutions, and/or community-based organizations
- Energetic and enthusiastic leadership style, strong management skills, and a collaborative spirit
- Ability to plan both strategically and aspirationally
Experience working successfully and collaboratively with a Board of Directors, senior leadership, and professional colleagues
- Ability to manage and build consensus across internal and external constituents
- Proven understanding of inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility, the role that racial inequity plays in our society, and a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and collaborate across differences
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills
- Highly organized, strategic thinker with strong leadership skills and capabilities
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Research shows that men apply for jobs when they fulfill an average of 60% of the criteria. Yet, women and other people who are systematically marginalized tend only to apply if they meet every requirement. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply.
We are dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. So, whether you’re returning to work after a gap in employment, simply looking to transition, or taking the next step in your career path, we will be glad to have you on our radar.
Please use your cover letter to tell us about what you hope to bring to this role.
To apply for this job please visit www.tomocgroup.com.