Empowering Communities, Advocating Solutions
About Citizens Campaign for the Environment:
Citizens Campaign for the Environment is New York and Connecticut’s most effective grassroots environmental organization with over 120,000 members. For over 35 years, CCE has engaged in extensive grassroots organizing, public education, research and lobbying leading us to success on critical campaigns that protect public health and the environment. Our goal is to increase the public’s influence in the political process by offering members opportunities to get involved, and thereby advancing a strong environmental agenda. Just this year in NY, CCE was successful in securing an all time high of $400 million for the Environmental Protection Fund, $500 million for sewage and drinking water upgrades, $500 million for offshore wind investments, and expanding protections of our wetlands in the 2022 New York State budget.
CCE is looking for outgoing and positive candidates with strong communications skills who are passionate about protecting the environment and making a difference. Campaign Representatives are integral in maintaining CCE’s personal relationships with our members which allows these campaigns to be successful. As part of our team, you will call members to educate, fundraise, and organize them around urgent environmental and public health campaigns. No experience needed! We will provide two weeks of paid training in which you will learn about the campaigns and fundraising strategies. It’s also a great opportunity for current college students or recent graduates who are looking for an entry level position to break into the non-profit world to jump start their career. Why wait for change? You can be part of the change by inspiring our members to act on the local level ensuring their voices are heard to push forth meaningful environmental legislation.
Currently, we are working on a campaign to protect our drinking water and public health. PFAS are toxic chemicals found in industrial and household products such as non-stick cookware, food packaging, furniture and clothing that are linked to cancers, thyroid problems, and adverse developmental effects. Due to their widespread use, PFAS have become common in our soils, air, and drinking water. Additionally, testing has revealed PFAS in water resources throughout numerous communities from Western New York to Long Island.
The Environmental Protection Agency set a non-enforceable health advisory of 70 parts per trillion (ppt) for PFOA and PFOS. However, they recently reduced the advisory to a mere .004 ppt for PFOA and .02 ppt for PFOS—meaning there is no safe level of exposure to these chemicals in our drinking water. We are working to pass a combined drinking water standard for PFAS that is as close to 0 ppt as possible to protect our public health!
- Flexible scheduling. Part-time openings, 14-24 hours a week. Shifts available Monday thru Saturday.
- Personal and professional development, with opportunities for advancement within the organization. Ability to move up into a management role.
- Two weeks of paid training and continuous support.
- Opportunity for performance-based bonuses.
- Paid time-off (must stay with the organization for at least a year to qualify).
- Conferences and travel opportunities within our nationwide network of nonprofits dedicated to the environment and social justice.
- Opportunity to make a difference and protect our environment.
- Effective communication skills.
- Willingness to be mentored and learn about environmental issues as well as fundraising strategies.
- Upbeat attitude and desire to have a positive impact on members within the organization.
- Ability to meet goals and stay motivated.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Punctual and ability to stay on task.
- You do not need campaign or fundraising experience but, you need to have an interest in environmental issues and be comfortable with the idea of fundraising.
- Knowledge about the environment and political process are a plus.
- Advocacy, customer service, call center, and/or fundraising experience are a plus.
Link to Apply:
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org